Number of new-runs per month since the reboot:
185 – total
182.5 – goal ½ 365
Lynn exceeded her promised goal by 2.5 new-runs. As you can tell, aside from September, which Lynn promised would be all new, the new-runs hit their peak in March, and we have been on a steady decline since May. I know we have one more day in August, but my guess is that, with the lead-in we had on Saturday, the strip is headed towards the “Mike starts Grade 1” set of reprints on Monday.
The new-runs were originally touted as stories which would fill in the missing pieces of stories or tell stories that Lynn did not have time to tell the first time. So, what have we learned?September, 2008 –
1. We learned that before Farley the dog came into the Patterson’s lives, we had Fred the fish.
2. We learned that Jean Baker operated both as Dr. John Patterson’s front desk and as a dental assistant.
3. We learned that Connie Poirier used to tell people that she was married to Pablo da Silva, but that was a lie.
4. We learned that Anne Nichols had 2 sons, Christopher and Richard, who are about the same age as Michael and Elizabeth.
5. We learn that John Patterson regularly had conversations with Michael while sitting on the green-striped chesterfield.
6. We learn that Elly works so hard around the house, she doesn’t have time to read the paper.October, 2008 –
1. We learn that John has hired a hygienist who looks like Shania Twain.
2. We learn that Michael goes to preschool.
3. We learn that the same day Lizzie learned to walk; she was capable of running around aside in the rain.
4. We learn that Farley the dog was adopted when Michael was in preschool (and not Grade 1).November, 2008 –
1. We learn that Anne Nichols’ son about Michael’s age is named Richard, instead of Christopher, when he gets into a physical fight with Michael. Anne begs Elly to call the fight “case closed”, but since the older Nichols’ son disappears after this point, clearly the case was not closed. Christopher the younger son is all that remains.
2. We learn that Michael and Lawrence take the bus to preschool, and Michael is completely obsessed with fellow student, Deanna Sobinski.December, 2008
1. We learn that Connie Poirier is completely obsessed with Phil Richards, even before she meets him, for no other reason than he is single.January, 2009
1. We learn that Fred the fish has been replaced by Frank the fish, who never reappears in the strip, most likely because Michael has encouraged Farley the dog to drink water out of the fish bowl. Death by Farley, would be my guess.
2. We learn that Deanna Sobinski is moving to Burlington during her preschool year, instead of Grade 4.February, 2009
1. We learn that Elly snores and talks in her sleep.
2. We learn that Connie is 35.March, 2009
1. We learn that Dr. Ted McCaulay is generally reviled by the female population of Milborough, and has a drinking problem.
2. We learn the Dr. John Patterson’s dental assistant bears a striking resemblance to April Patterson.
3. We learn that Michael’s preschool lasts until 4 pm.
4. We learn that when John takes care of Lizzie and Michael, they sleep in the same bed.April, 2009
1. We learn that Elizabeth was the result of John and Elly going out on a date with each other.
2. We learn that Connie married Peter Landry after knowing him for 6 months.May, 2009
1. We learn that John and Ted would go to a bar to watch hockey games.
2. We learn that Anne and Elly were around to help Connie through her divorce from Peter Landry.
3. We learn that Elly spit at John after he left for the dental convention, which led her to go on an outing to try to attract men.June, 2009
1. We learn that Lawrence Poirier has bowel shyness.July, 2009
1. We learn that Elly is obsessed with making sure Farley the dog is clean.
2. We learn that Elly doesn’t like Michael to play in the sprinkler.August, 2009
1. We learn that Farley the dog was put in a kennel while the Pattersons went on vacation.
2. We learn that Elly Patterson doesn’t like to buy cheap clothing.
Of all those strips, the only one I can genuinely say was a story fleshing out the original storyline was the one where Lawrence Poirier admitted to Mike that he has bowel shyness.