Monday, November 21, 2005

Is Shannon the new Best Friend?

Constable Paul Wright is in Mtigwaki today and tomorrow. I went back through the strips involving Jesse Mukwa and saw that his primary obsession with Liz is that he is afraid she will leave. I know we have been playing that up on the ARB as his being in love with Liz, but there may be something more to it. I was thinking 2 things. (1) the previous teacher to Liz was so horrible that Jesse is afraid she might come back or someone worse, if Liz leaves. (2) Liz represents a mother figure for Jesse. Jesse’s mother was mentioned in one strip, but to my knowledge, only Jesse’s aunt Margaret has made an appearance. There may be something going on with his mom, where he is drawn more deeply to Liz. Given these 2 thoughts, I opted to have Paul explain to Jesse that nobody was leaving. While I was investigating the Ontario Provincial Police, I found a spot on their website that talked about detachments and their durations. In this spot, the detachments near to Toronto and that part of Ontario had no durations listed. The detachments in the Northwest and Northeast all had mandatory durations. It said that you do not get to pick you assignment in the OPP until you had served a duration in a place you did not pick. In the detachment closest to the presumed position of Mtigwaki, the duration was 6 years. So, I picked this time for Paul Wright. Not knowing how old he is or when he started OPP, Paul Wright could be close to finishing his duration or not. I doubt Lynn will research it. She can’t even make Shannon the same height from panel to panel.

Jeremy Jones. Nothing much today. I don’t want to involve him in anything spectacular, since I will very busy doing vacation preparation tomorrow.

Becky McGuire. Judging from the Tuesday strip, I think that Becky can safely leave on Wednesday for her trip to turn Howard human. I intended Becky to lead Howard over to Connie Poirier’s for some Connie snark, but I could not find any inspiration. I poured over the monthly letters and it was all, “I drank coffee with Connie. Connie and I went jogging.” It doesn’t look like Connie has done anything interesting since Lawrence announced he was gay. I wanted to do something with Sera the dog and Doris Day, but I couldn’t make it work.

Gerald. The strip today made Gerald’s work easy. If April were to use some 1920s phrase every day, the Gerald snark would write itself.

Tomorrow’s strip. Shannon…is…the…best…friend? Good…God…no. I went back to the strip where April rescued Shannon in the card shop and realized that Monday/Tuesday strips are basically a replay of that with Becky playing the insensitive villain both times. In both cases, Becky judges April’s looks and April gets upset. In both cases, Shannon comforts April. The big difference this time is that April does not help out Shannon to show she is deserving of Shannon’s comfort. This time, April is a little condescending to Shannon, when she tried to comfort April. Given that attitude, I would be surprised if Shannon…is…the…best…friend. Maybe it’s time for a life lesson from Elly about Shannon. After that, the possibilities are endless.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it wrong of me to hope that Eva is around the corner and will burst Shannon's little "April's... my... new... best... friend..." bubble, lets ... blow ... up ... Becky ... so ... no ... one ... can ... come .... between ... us.?!

Adrianne

6:04 AM  
Blogger howard said...

It could happen. I just can't see Shannon being the new best friend for April. The new best friend would most likely be someone April could do things with or talk about the same things with. I don't see April and Shannon getting into a conversation about boys or clothes or even taking the same classes.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why ... not.
Shan ... non ... is ... just ... like ... all ... girls. I'm ... sure ... she ... likes... boys. ::Giggle giggle::

Kill me?
Adrianne

8:03 AM  
Blogger howard said...

adrianne_p
Shannon probably does like boys. Her teenage hormones should be going wild just like April's. Maybe she will be the new best friend. If that were to happen, April would have to open up to her a lot more. With Eva, April was "my sister gave me this and that." With Shannon it's "I'm having a bad day."

schmoosie
I'm sorry you're not in the mood. I know how that is. Personally, I am hoping inspiration will strike, because I love a good schmoosie post.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly did not get the "I want Shannon as my new best friend" vib from this strip. I got the "Don't touch me ... She's touching me. STOP TOUCHING ME!" vib but maybe that's just me ... Like, April is constantly moving away from Shannon, she only stops to talk to her once. And the last scene ... For me ... honestly does not look like "comfort". It looks like a leech.

I think you're right ... Shannon just doesn't get it, it's not just that Becky was mean to April, it's everything.

8:43 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I noticed the touching too. I think you are right on the mark with that. Now it's time for Lynn to bring on Eva! I hope she's listening.

9:18 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Sorry I was late! We slept in today, and I didn't even realize how late it was until we got up and I looked at the clock. Little boy was asking for "shay-dobbie baby-nanny" (strawberry-banana) yogurt. :)

Please, no "Shannon is the new best friend," Lynn! Bring on Eva.

9:40 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I have a new catchphrase now. Bring on Eva. Bring on Eva.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm touched. ::Blushing::
Oh, you meant to the strip ... Yeah that would be nice.

God I hope she's around the corner. God I hope she's around the corner. Be around the corner. Be around the corner!!!

I'm dreading tomorrow and looking forward to it too.

Adrianne
(Oh this'll be fun, ward verification and I can't see ... No surprise that I got it wrong)

1:31 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I really hope that Lynn does something with Eva. I hope she doesn't turn out like Beatrice Alfarero, where they introduce her in one strip and then she never appears again. We have been having fun torturing Shannon today in April's Real Blog, but I don't know how much further I could go with it, if Shannon was the new best friend.

2:26 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I read this from the Shannon part of the FBoFW website describing Shannon:

One great hurdle to overcome is handling the feeling of being excluded. Others around her talk openly about going to movies, parties and hanging out. She is not invited, and it hurts.

Shannon may not be April's new best friend, but given this line, April may invite Shannon to do things with her.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home