Wednesday, November 16, 2005

April Through the Looking Glass

Thanks to the inexplicable non-reversing zits in the today’s strip mirror image, we were able to play that into a very fun day on April’s Real Blog with the introduction of April Patterson’s mirror self. It’s not an original idea, I admit, but it is highly unusual for the strip to get such details so wrong, particularly when the whole story arc revolves around zits and does not appear to be going anywhere else. In Thursday’s strip, April does her Duncan imitation because of zits. Sigh. When such are the strips, you takes your snark where you gets it.

The best part of it was that at the end of the mirror April story, it allowed me to focus Jeremy a little on what he wants in life, that being Alexandra Love. In the previous days’ postings, Adrianne_p and I did a little he-said, she-said sequence where Adrianne_p’s Alexandra Love told a nearly completely different story from the one that Jeremy had told about the same situation. They were so different that I was unable to reconcile the differences into a coherent storyline from the two perspectives, as I have been able to do in the past. I just couldn’t do it without Jeremy admitting he made up most of his story. The Jeremy of the strips is notorious for saying truthful things in an obnoxious manner. In his last appearance he enjoyed pointing out to April that Becky was going to break up their band, before Becky had actually said anything about it. There was also another strip sequence where Jeremy sat outside the room where 4-Evah was practicing. This marked him as a loner with no friends. Therein lays my themes for Jeremy: 1. He has poor social skills. 2. He is obnoxious. 3. He does not lie. Given those themes, it was impossible for me to have Jeremy admit that he lied in telling his story about Alexandra, because by my view of Jeremy, he always tells the truth. However, because he so desires to be with Alexandra, he cannot call her a liar. He’s smart enough to know that would not work. So, Jeremy has to skirt the he-said, she-said issue, play the victim, and try to appeal to the possibility that Alexandra actually likes him enough to back down. Today, Jeremy laid it out for Alexandra that in no uncertain terms he wants to be her boyfriend. The next fun part is to see how Adrianne_p reacts.

As far as the other characters go, Howard Kelpfroth has now come back as a black Newfoundland dog, currently in the custody of Becky McGuire. This gives qnjones so many possibilities for humour. I am reminded of the original Shaggy Dog movie, where the younger brother upon discovering that his older brother has turned into a dog, starts treating him like a pet he always wanted. There’s no telling what qnjones will do with Becky in the same situation, as her Becky is a lot sneakier than a Disney movie character. I am anxious to read it. I received many suggestions for future Howard stories yesterday. I want to thank each and every one of you for supplying me with so many story possibilities. It will take awhile to work through them all, so don’t be impatient.

Constable Paul Wright. His Ojibwe conversations get more and more explicit each day and schmoosie posting as Liz has been matching me and raising the ante each time. My poor little Freelang translator is smoldering after I read each new post. It’s a challenge to keep up with schmoosie in being naughty. In the meantime, my researches of the Ontario Provincial Police show that revolving work shifts are standard procedure. In real life, there is a good chance that the constable would not be able to get off work on weekends, when Liz is off. So, his next trip to Mtigwaki is scheduled for Monday. This will give him a chance to interplay with the Mtigwaki characters a little and do something different with Liz than long distance love letters, which are by necessity a staple of his posts. If they ever bring the good constable back in the strip and explore his life or his police partner a little, then Liz could visit him and do some snark in that area.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

See. This is why I like/love your Blog. I can read what the heck you're thinking with Jeremy. I only read April's mind. And I don't know Jeremy from the strip.

Unfortunately, I am sick. I am sick and I am slightly cranky so I will not be playing until I'm not sick and not cranky.

And I'm totally freaking out because the "it's a dog but there's a human in there!" has already been done for me and I hated (nothing against you Howard, love ya Howard) every last freak'in minute of it -- it lasted way past the joke, in fact there was never any joke ... and it had to do with a mirror. And the dog could talk. And I was suppose to pretend that the dog was my sister. When really there was no relation at all. See. Issues. The dog thing is freak'in me out. Big time. So sorry. So so sorry.

I need to not be sick. Then my thinking will be clearer. I don't wanna play til then.

Adrianne

4:41 AM  
Blogger howard said...

adrianne.

I hope you get well and start feeling better. It's no fun to be sick. Your experience with a dog being your sister and it having to do with a mirror sounds interesting. I plan to leave Jeremy basically alone until you're better, except for him to write the occasional post about how depressed he is over losing Alexandra.

schmoosie,

I know writing Liz can be difficult. She is separated from the action not only on the ARB, but also in the strip. I intentionally picked up the good constable for no other reason than to be able to give schmoosie some action (in a nice way, although we have been doing a lot of the other kind too with the steamy Ojibwe. Whew! That last Liz letter.). Lynn Johnston has developed a really bad habit with Liz in particular, of setting up things to happen and then skipping over them. If she were on the ARB, then I would consider her to be feeding us possible storylines and then sitting back waiting for us to do them. You also said, I think back during the Mtigwaki travelogue time frame, how much you missed your association with Native Americans in the Southwest. I know that their experience is not the same as the Ontario Ojibwe, but if you ever get in the mood to write up some of those experiences as Liz, then I will do my best as Paul to play along. I think it would be really interesting to read your accounts of your experiences, even if written in the voice of Liz.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howard,
I haven't even read or seen this apparent letter that has been sent to Alex. I haven't read any of the comments up to 6pm from yesterday -- with the headache, my eyes crossing, and going insane with the dog I couldn't read on. The sister/mirror/dog thing was not interesting. It was anti-interesting.

I have to see how much is actual said about the letter but right now my main thought is the old song ... 50s or 60s and I think Elvis "Return to Sender". So I like that you had Alexandra ignoring you in the most recent post from Jeremy.

Adrianne

9:24 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Ooh, you guys, please translate the Ojibwe at the Meta. I tried twice to install that Freelang translator, but my computer just looked at me. I figured Liz and Paul were providing false translations, but could only sort of guess at what they've been covering up!

I loved the "April Through the Looking Glass" story and I think "howthedog" could be lots of fun, too.

As for Jeremy's characterization, I do think it's important to allow him to remain as the truthteller-to-a-fault.

9:45 AM  
Blogger howard said...

adrianne,

I am glad you approve of the Alexandra ignoring Jeremy post. I will continue in that direction until you feel better. Your illness sounds awful. I'm sorry you feel so bad.

The letter basically said that Jeremy would do anything it took for Alexandra to be his girlfriend and he wanted Alexandra to tell him what he had to do to make up. Very teenagery, or at least what I remember of teenage life.

aprilp_katje

I like the Jeremy as truthteller too. It gives him a unique perspective.

Translate the Ojibwe at the Meta. I am not at a computer that has the Freelang translator on it currently. You'll have to wait until tonight, unless schmoosie wants to do it. I may have to use euphemisms on the Meta. For some reason, I don't have any problem writing that stuff in Ojibwe, but the English seems explicit to me.

9:58 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Not from my sweetly biinizi schmoosie.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home