Sunday, November 06, 2005

Howard = Stepdad ?

In April’s Real Blog, qnjones posting as Becky suggested the possibility that Howard become her step-father by marrying her mother. By my rules of posting, which is that I try to make my posts match the comic strip For Better or For Worse, this idea would never work, as Becky’s parents are in the middle of a divorce, which cannot happen until the parents have been separated for a year. It raised an interesting question with the way I have been portraying Howard, the gay man. I have had him fall madly in love with Brenda Starr on the premise that Brenda is a gay icon, like Judy Garland, etc. Having established that Howard has been intimate and so enamored with Brenda does take away from the idea that Howard is gay. I will see if I can work a little more gayness back into Howard, but still keeping the relationship with Brenda Starr going for as long as schmoosie cares to post as Brenda.

Jeremy Jones began his initial overtures to Adrianne_p’s Alexandra Love. Adrianne_p has been doing an excellent job establishing this character, and it will be interested in seeing if the socially awkward Jeremy Jones can actually do a romance without messing it up.

Monday’s strip jumped to post-Liz / Paul action, so the time is right for Constable Paul Wright to appear. He works the night shift, so that is when he will likely post.

8 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Schmoo, I was about to post at the Meta that today's strip fits in beautifully with Liz's hints at ARB. :)

(The word verification kicks my butt at times, too. There are times it makes me retype even though I DID type the word in right, I swear I did! It's punishing me for my frequency!)

6:44 AM  
Blogger howard said...

schmoosie,

I have noticed your clues for the future of the Brenda / Howard relationship. Given the way Howard feels, there is no way he will be the one to end the relationship. Likewise, I will not either. When you are tired of the Howard and Brenda love story, feel free to end it and I will write some heartbreaking stuff for Howard. Ooo, that will be fun.

As for how far Liz went with Paul Wright, it is highly unlikely that Lynn will go into that part of their relationship in the strip. As Paul, I will follow your lead on that.

8:43 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

::sulk::

But I want Gramps to have his Dixie privileges suspended! :(

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howard,

Will you email me/let me in on the stuff Jeremy's father plays in his band. I'd like to put some thoughts into tomorrow and I'd like to continue the music thing seeing as Jeremy tripped me up with the "I like country music". The little rat.

What would your reaction be if Alexandra flipped out on Jeremy because of the music thing?

Adrianne
(AdrianneP1 at mac dot com)

7:13 PM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje. Sorry about restoring the Dixie privileges, but I have this peculiar obsession with making the ARB work with the strip and the letters. After the monthly letters jumped all over April, it seemed funnier to me that her family is conspiring against April, and that's the way I went.

9:56 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Adrianne_p, I hope you read this. I don't do the e-mail thing.

The only clue we have about Jeremy's father from the strips is that his mother used to travel with his dad when he played with a country western band. No other description than that. So you can pretty much do what you want as far as musical selections go.

It wasn't intended to trip you up. It just made sense to me that Jeremy would like country western because of the influence of his parents.

Personally I would love it if Alexandra flipped out on Jeremy because of the music thing. Jeremy would probably wonder if he gotten himself involved with yet another crazy woman.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adrianne_p, I hope you read this. I don't do the e-mail thing.

Interesting.

The only clue we have about Jeremy's father from the strips is that his mother used to travel with his dad when he played with a country western band. No other description than that. So you can pretty much do what you want as far as musical selections go.

Most country music bands that aren't singing their own songs -- I think -- have a female singer on back-up so she can sing some songs. I'm going to assume, I think, that Jeremy's dad's band was much the same way ...

Or I could just have ... Hmm that makes better sense. Thanks for the info.

It wasn't intended to trip you up. It just made sense to me that Jeremy would like country western because of the influence of his parents.

Oh, I know. I kind of liked it because it was a challenge to get out of ... You know?

Hee. Crazy ; )
Adrianne

4:29 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Yes, I figured you were going for a match-up between the letters and ARB. Just, please, don't change April and Becky's relationship to match the strip/letters! ;)

7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home