Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Career Selection Strip, Part III

Today in For Better or For Worse, we saw April in her first animal surgery, and in tomorrow’s strip, the aftermath which pretty much casts the die of April Patterson for becoming a veterinarian. The only thing remaining to fulfill my prediction of April moving to Winnipeg next summer is some kind of statement about how it would be nice to live in Winnipeg, where she could participate in animal surgeries all the time, while still attending high school. It will be a crucial moment for me. Hang on to your hats.

Lynn also continues to establish her theme of “awesome jobs”. It would be really nice if a Patterson could look at some aspect of their career as drudge work. All this career-worshipping is bringing me down. Why don’t I worship my job like a Patterson does? Why don’t I find organizing supplies “super interesting”? Have I lost touch with the true joys of my profession? If only I were like April, the world would be a much better place. Thank you Lynn Johnston, for giving us such a model of wholesome goodness.

2 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

I wonder if Lynn is one of those obnoxious famous multimillionaires who patronizingly believe that only people living "simple" lives know true happiness--?

It makes me wonder if Lynn has her own Gordo, some poor slob who Lynn thinks is doing well because Lynn gave him money at some point.

As you ran down your list of jobs, you neglected to put in Lawrence and Nick with Lakeshore Landscaping, but I don't know if they qualify under the "jobs gushed about" or if they qualify under the "jobs taken by minority stereotype" like Mr. Singh's convenience store.

6:01 AM  
Blogger howard said...

This is as close as I have found, but it is limited since Lawrence and Nick's praise does not come from a Patterson.

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home