Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Great Escape

Today continued the saga of April, she whom the horse taunts and another bizarre onomatopoeia, this time the sound effect for the horse heat-butting April, so she could escape. BUNT was an odd term, presumably used because Lynn didn’t want to say BUTT. So I snarked it with Gordie Duroccher using the same onomatopoeia to correctly represent a skateboarding term, and then the long Howard post where he used it for the baseball/softball term, a mispronounced word “blunt” and a sly reference by Marjee Mahaha saying for Howard to play with her “bunt” which could mean a whole host of things, and is better left undefined.

Tomorrow’s strip: I think we are to get the impression that Tawny the horse has spent the last 2 days playing around with April, as a sign of affection and this continues with yet another humiliation. I have been around horses who nibble at pockets looking for expected treats, but Tawny takes it one step further and actually lifts April off the ground by her shorts. I suppose Tawny’s next plan is to shake April until the treat falls loose of her body. It’s pretty obvious this week is going to be spent with April re-bonding with her horse from last year, Tawny. I don’t see how a visit to the vet center with Cousin Laura to see a surgery could fit into the slapstick tone of this week’s sequence.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I'm really not a fan of slapstick, so I wish they'd move on to some actual character development.

3:34 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Oh aprilp_katje,

Don't you love The Three Stooges, the favourite of women everywhere? Personally, I like the physical humour. It ages very well. Old Buster Keaton pictures still make me laugh with all his physical schtick.

As for For Better or For Worse, its best physical humour in the old days, was it's subtle raising of an eyebrow here or there. I never really liked the humour that was based on Elly shrieking at the children. Even as a parent I don't like it.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home