Thursday, August 17, 2006

Weighty Humour

In today’s For Better or For Worse, the strip has progressed in somewhat the same fashion as it did for last year’s visit to Winnipeg. We meet Auntie Bev and then after a little indication that April is not a farm girl, we bring in Cousin Laura, who, last year, had the position of being April’s confidante. The point of the strip today was to show that Laura has embraced veterinary work, and the easiest way to show that is to show Laura helping to deliver a calf. It is difficult to do something like that and make it funny, and I would like to say that after 27 years in the comic strip business, Lynn succeeded where others would have failed, but that is not the case. A hopelessly unfunny joke. I spent the first part of the day snarking the “heavy” joke and making fun of Lynn’s apparent lack of veterinary knowledge and I was prepared to let it slide to the evening, as I usually do, waiting for aprilp_katje to get off work.

Today however, qnjones and eeknight jumped into the fray before then, and set me off on a road of Michael snark in reaction. aprilp_katje joined in and I wrote even more Michael snark. It felt a little bit like the older Pattersons are taking over April's Real Blog. Why don’t you wait over here for awhile, April? The stuff was very funny and the day was quite enjoyable for me.

Tomorrow evening, it’s time for the Boy Scout annual planning meeting, a first for me and my boy. The Boy Scouts go camping and as part of the camping, they are supposed to plan out their whole schedule for the entire year. I will be gone from Friday night until Sunday afternoon. I will look forward to reading all the funny stuff on April’s Real Blog when I get back. I’ll think of you as I am sitting in my tent, being rained on.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Awwww. You're a great Dad! :)

4:56 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Thanks for the compliment. After the trip, I feel like a bug-bit Dad.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home