Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Counselor Paul

I have decided on a new running joke for Constable Paul Wright. Since the February monthly letters said that he was counseling people a lot, I have decided to work on that angle for humour. This occurred to me when I was reading the Liz letter talking about the good constable and his many positive attributes. The reason being, yesterday, when Bucky Katt showed up with his film script for Mike Patterson to edit, I once again jumped in as Mike Patterson. As a part of that, I went to check to see if Mike Patterson had listed film or movie script in any of his monthly letters. Guess what? He doesn’t. It appeared in the strip after the Kelpfroth article sequence. Then it appeared in one other place—the Deanna monthly letters. I started reading those for things that Mike did and much to my surprise, the Deanna monthly letters much more often list the things upon which Mike is working. In fact, when you read them all in sequence, just concentrating on those parts, it appears that while Deanna is complaining she never sees Mike, she is also bragging on his writing assignments.

Then I looked back at the Liz letter talking about the good constable, and it had the same flow. Liz is bragging about Paul doing counseling, instead of just arresting people. It reminds me very much of a woman I know whose husband had a law degree and an MBA, who suddenly decided he didn’t want to a lawyer anymore and started working as a waiter in a Mexican food restaurant. He has been doing that for over 10 years now, but his wife steadfastly refers to him as a lawyer. So not only is Liz bragging on Paul’s counseling, it appears that she is also trying to make his job more palatable to her. “Yes, Paul arrests drunks. But he also gives them really good advice.” There is a lot of material there for snarking, so expect this joke to continue until I get sick of it.

I also got Freyr and Freya confused today. I have to be more consistent in checking my Norse mythology. Sorry qnjones.

Tomorrow’s strip: Elly does scrapbooking and she is organized. Scrapbooking snark? It’s going to be a tough day.

5 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I could have married him, gotten him to pay for my law school education, and divorced him.

My (ex)aunt did this to my uncle! He was her second husband--husband #1 paid for her undergrad. Husband #3 was a fellow lawyer who outmaneuvered her when they divorced (he ended up with custody of their child, while she'd won custody of the two children she'd had with my uncle). Husband #4 was a sweet, trusting soul who lost his house to her. Undoubtedly, there is a husband #5 she will be choosing with great care. Poor guy.

6:28 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

When I see Becky, I think of Leann Rimes. I was living in the Dallas area at the time when she was about Becky's age and she would sing at the local Opry's on a pretty regular basis. Her dad was managing her career and pushing her a lot. During her teen years, she had no boyfriends, because that would interfere with the career. But when Leann got older, she shed her father as manager and started dating.

As for dating, it sounds like you need to be the one picking your guy and not going with the ones attracted to you. During my dating days, I attracted women who wanted a guy who would be their shrink. After dating a few of them, I had to stop. You can only take so many dates, where the woman wants to talk about how bad their relationship is with their father or mother.

aprilp_katje,

I have known women who worked their way through husbands. Fortunately none of them were ever family. Sorry for your uncle.

8:57 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

The other kind of guy that is interested in me is the sort who never went to college and have found out that their job prospects are limited, no matter how hard they work. A woman lawyer looks like the path to financial success.

During my dating days, I did date a women lawyer. She worked in immigration law, so many of her clients / boyfriends were Mexican citizens seeking U.S. citizenship. One of the more humbling moments of my dating life was when she dumped me for a very nice looking alcoholic Mexican man who occasionally worked in construction. She did not have your discrimination.

2:38 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

When I met my husband, he was in law school, and at the time, I had some co-workers who commented on my "landing a lawyer." This was so much not my mindset.

6:37 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Hee hee--no offense taken. I think he'd agree with you. :)

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home