Monday, February 06, 2006

Mortgage Pun Leads to Monthly Snark

Today’s strip was difficult to snark. A short conversation between John and Elly rehashing the same thing they have been talking about for 3 years. Having Jeremy allude to it briefly was as far as I went.

Most of my posts were devoted to monthly letter snark. Something I have found interesting is the relationship between April and Grandpa Jim. When I go through the Grandpa Jim monthly letters or even in the strip, he has nothing to do with Liz and Mike and they have nothing to do with him. I wondered why that was, until I remembered that for most of their lives, Mike and Liz associated Jim with Marion, the dead grandmother. It made me wonder if Mike and Liz liked Jim, or if they had a secret dislike for Iris. The Pattersons talk a good game about accepting Iris, but their actions speak a lot louder. No strips with Liz or John at the Milborough Seniors’ Living Palace, only one with Mike and Dee and the grandkids. Even during the holiday gatherings, you do not see them interact. Of course, what set it off for me was Iris’ sudden tendency in the monthly letters to talk about visiting her kids without Jim.

Then I snarked John’s monthly letter and his car-shopping habits, with a character I hope I can work back in someday, the smart-talking GPS mapper in the car.

Constable Paul Wright did some Liz letter snark, with the giant list of songs all having the word “like” in the title. It was not very funny.

Tomorrow’s strip: April finds out her mom is selling Lilliput’s and reacts by giving her mom the third degree about whether or not she is retiring. So, like John, April has been turned into a generic character that allows Elly to rehash what she already talked about with Moira last week. The artwork is terrible in tomorrow's strip.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

D'oh! I didn't get the connection that the song-titles all had "like" in the title. I was looking for a thematic connection. ;)

7:14 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

I hope you feel better today and I am glad you liked the 'like."

aprilp_katje,

I am not really that smart in my humour to do themes. I would say to go for the lowest common denominator in reading anything I write.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home