Sunday, January 29, 2006

How to Stroke her Pussy

When I was a teenager, I bought a book in a book store that I thought would be a dirty book, called “How to Play with Your Pussy.” It was actually published in England and was a humour book describing different ways to play with your cat. As I recollect, it was pretty funny and filled with cat-related humour. As a teen, we had about 13 cats in our house and yard, so much of the book struck home, because I was very familiar with cat behaviour. It is this book I had in mind when I came up with “How to Stroke her Pussy” for Constable Paul Wright and waited to bring up the English publisher at the last minute as the payoff. So, the humour derives from Paul writing as if he is stupid, but in reality, he is not. Of course, it didn’t help that the example I quoted from the book could go either way on the definition of “pussy” as cat or something else.

In real life, if I were moving, I would be packing. So, that’s what I had Howard announce he was doing at the beginning of the day. My secret hope was that one of the other posters to April’s Real Blog would volunteer to help him. But I intentionally did not make that secret hope an obvious hope. Sundays are busy for me and it would be difficult to do a back-and-forth kind of posting with anyone today.

I am trying to move Jeremy Jones back into his more caustic self, after he spent a long time being Mr. Lovey-Dovey with Alexandra Love. I think this will play better with qnjones’ Becky McGuire, Jeremy’s current love interest, whom I am pretty sure is uninterested in doing the Lovey-Dovey kind of stuff with Jeremy and is more interested in doing the occasional makeout when it suits me session with Jeremy. The trick is to take the relationship into something a little different than it was the last time the two were together. This will make interesting reading, I hope, both for any poor saps who happen to read April’s Real Blog to follow Jeremy and for me in writing it.

Tomorrow’s strip. As everyone predicted, Elly is thinking about selling Lilliputs again, with the usual “I’m not quite ready” caveat. In other words, Lynn wants us to think about it, but it’s not going to happen for awhile. It’s like the movie trailers for the Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin. They have been out forever, but the movie is still not here.

4 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

I am trying to draw a fine line between Paul the innocent believer in all things Patterson, who took all the crap from Liz in December, and Paul an actual intelligent human being and competent constable. The Paul is the strip falls in love really fast, but I don't see him as a bumbling idiot.

"Published in London" is not really the final word on the matter or even the definitive answer, as you point out. Most of the humour did lie in the ambiguity. I had planned to leave it ambiguous, but Liz started throwing those curve balls, that Paul cannot ignore, because it is Liz. If Becky had thrown those curve balls, Paul probably would have ignored her.

However, the Liz google research post was tantamount to calling Paul a liar and a bit unusual for Liz, a girl who is afraid of confronting people. I am not sure where you are going with that. She is so comfortable with Paul, she feels OK confronting him, or she is being manipulating by Shiimsa.

In either case, Paul should be competent enough an officer to recognize smut. Even in the strip, if Liz were to accuse Paul of not being good at his job, I think he would be offended, despite his feelings for Liz.

11:30 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

QN, I don't think it's so far-fetched for Liz to know about using the LOC system. It seems to me that in her education classes at Nipissing University, she would have learned research methodology so she could in turn teach her students to navigate library systems.

8:11 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

I can understand Liz being upset about the Canadian classification system remark. It could be interpreted as smart-ass. The way I was thinking of it was that, being a member of the Ontario Provincial Police, Paul is very pro-Canada.

In any case, the confrontation Liz appeared before this smart-ass post appeared.

First, she told him to get a clue.
He responds, "The book is from England."

Second, she says, "Verify it's from England."
He responds, "This is the address."

Third, she says, "I have researched it and the book is not about cats."
Then he responds with the smart-ass remark that was in fact, telling Liz, the teacher, that she does not know what she is talking about. He has the book in his hands after all and this is the 3rd time she has questioned him about it.

However the fourth confrontation from Liz, where she says, "I don't want to talk to you anymore" puts things in perspective for Paul, i.e. "I am going to lose the woman I love in a stupid argument over a book" and he quickly recants. My guess is that Paul is a lot better in relationships than Liz, and that seemed like the way he would respond to the 4th one.

11:22 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Is Paul a lot better in relationships? I think he is. Your points:

In the strip, there's no basis to say. All we've seen is him acting desperate, then acting stalker-ish, then acting like a total doormat.

Desperate, stalker-ish and doormat is one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is open and honest and trusting.

On the real blog, well, Paul has a few serious drawbacks to being considered "good with relationships." He seems to have trouble understanding and responding appropriately when someone is mad at him. He also has some big blind spots on topics where he is convinced he is right, e.g., the wonderfulness of Elly Patterson.

ARB Paul is a little slow to understand things. He didn't get upset when Liz told him to get a clue. He didn't get upset when Liz told him to quote the publisher from the book. He even dropped a compliment on Liz when she essentially told him to admit he was wrong. He was also the first one to back off when he finally realized Liz was upset. I thought his response was appropriate, even though it might not have been as quick as ARB Liz would have liked. As for the wonderfulness of Elly Patterson, he knows what he has seen from Elly and he knows what Liz tells him about her do not match. No man is going to go into a relationship bad-mouthing the girl's mother. That is relationship suicide. Do not take sides in family battles, particularly over insignificant things. I think ARB Paul is going the right direction, relationship-wise. I expect that strip Liz is going to be a lot rougher on him than ARB Liz will ever be.

Also, Paul's key technique for getting along with Liz is to act like a doormat and avoid conflict. Though, while this is not a formula for a GOOD relationship, it is a technique that has surely kept more than one relationship alive.

There was a survey a few years back that showed passive men, who gave into their wives had longer-lasting marriages. I remember it got NOW upset, but it certainly matches my personal experience. I have 3 couple friends that are going through a divorce right now, and in each couple, it started when the man started getting feisty.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home