Wednesday, February 01, 2006

February Monthly Letters

Jeremy Jones and Howard were not mentioned in the monthly letters. Constable Paul Wright is my only active character this month, just as was last month. Let’s take a look:

My class is doing really well, and I'm experiencing a really nice stage in what I hope will be a long-term relationship. Paul makes me laugh and he treats me like a queen! My head says to take it slow, but my heart takes over whenever he's around. But...I'm not ready to say too much about this yet!

Liz’s now has an aspiration for her relationship with Paul, i.e. she wants it to be long-term. Does that mean as long as she is in Mtigwaki or longer? I doubt even Liz knows the answer to that. She indicates her treatment by Paul with 2 of the things that women say they want the most—a guy with a sense of humour who worships the ground they walk on. This is baloney, of course, but it is good for Liz to haul out the cliches. The line about the head and heart, are basically telling us that she is not taking it slow. But what does “take it slow” mean? Don’t fall in love, don’t see him as often, or don’t hump his brains out everytime you are together. The fact that the next line has her embarrassed tells us that it might be the humping.

Paul and I go cross-country skiing, when he comes to visit. It's a way to get some privacy, and the exercise is good for both of us. The sight of the pristine, snow-frosted forest is unspeakably romantic - especially when we know that there's a roaring fire and some hot chocolate in store for us when we get back. The corner store is the original Hudson's Bay post, the back of which housed the proprietor and his family. The original fireplace is still in good shape, so it's used during the winter to heat the back of the building - but mostly to being in the locals for a social visit and a chance to warm up your boots before heading home.

The first line indicates that cross-country skiing is all they do. The next line about the privacy gives you the answer why it is all they do. They are trying to spend time with each other, without the Mtigwakians watching their every move. The sight of the forest is romantic, especially when we have hot chocolate when we get back. I have already snarked that what Liz is really interested in is the hot chocolate. The corner store line comes out of nowhere. I gather it is some sort of stopping place during cross-country skiing.

Paul and I have a lot in common. We've discussed politics, religion, family, string theory, pet ownership, and plenty of more mundane topics and we're in agreement a lot of the time. When we're not, the discussions we have are friendly, animated and enjoyable.

I was quite excited how many of these topics I had already touched with my posting as Paul. Religion has been touched, if you count the Ojibway religious practices and morals. I have definitely done posts on family and pet ownership. The only remaining stuff is politics and string theory. String theory is so out there, it has got to be a Stephanie snark. When they disagree, they are friendly, animated, and enjoyable. In other words, they haven’t had a real fight yet.

He's got a real humanitarian streak, which is an asset in his work - in a detachment as remote as his, he finds himself offering counseling and advice fairly regularly, in addition to enforcing the law. He's got some awful stories to tell, of course, but he considers himself fortunate to be working in a place with a low level of violent crime. Some police officers burn out really quickly under their working conditions, but Paul wants to be in it for the long haul.

I had an interesting Meta discussion with qnjones over how Liz would react to the heavier side of police work. qnjones was convinced Liz could not handle it, and apparently she won’t have to because of the low level of violent crime. Because Paul is in a remote are, he offers counseling and advice. I believe she means to say that he is bored from a lack of things to do, so he spends a lot of time yakking with people. Take the Elly visit to jail for example. He spent a lot of time there coddling her. The other possibility is that this could be a lead in to a story where she convinces Paul to give up police work to become a professional busybody.

Maybe I was supposed to meet Paul. Maybe this is why I "had to" go North! When a relationship feels "right", you wonder if it was preordained. You wonder if someone or something has put you together. Who knows! All I know is, this is the feeling they write songs about! That's it for now. Keep your laces tied!

Was the pun on “right” necessary? Please Liz. The guy has got to hear Mr. Right or Dudley Do-Right every day on the job. Have a little pity. I don’t want to go into “the only purpose for a woman is to find a husband” snark on this subject. What is fascinating is that Liz has mentioned religion, a religious term (preordained), and then the presence of some powerful something that put her together with Paul. I have met girls who were really big on the “God brought us together” thing. It is so odd, hearing it come out of Liz, particularly when she just mentioned having discussions with Paul on religion. What would be really great is if Paul turns out to be an Ojibway religious fanatic, who converts Liz to some kind of Ojibway cult, only to be rescued by Elly at the last minute from being sacrificed to a volcano. What does "keep your laces tied" mean?

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Yikes--my anti-pun defenses are so high, I missed the right/Wright punning. Ew, Liz!

7:25 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

I prefer my version of Paul and Liz talking about string theory.

Liz: Vivian showed me her theory for how to get a cat to come out of hiding. Do you want to see it?

Paul: Yes.

Liz: First you take a string.

Paul: So it's a string theory.

Liz: Ha! Ha! That's a good pun.

Paul: It is?

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home