Friday, October 28, 2005

Fight! Fight! Fight!

The thing that stood out to me about the For Better or For Worse strip today was the dart in the ceiling. My initial thought was that it would be throwing darts, and I anticipated putting Andy Capp in the strip to explain it. However, a google on “First Nation Dart” came up with websites devoted to blowguns. It turns out that darts have been the weapons of choice for First Nations folk for thousands of years. There was one site talking about a dart that was found that dated by 9000 years. Interesting history for me. It seems I cannot snark on Mtigwaki without putting in some research hours.

The offhand comment I made from Jeremy saying that Becky had put on weight was interesting. I said that Becky needed to make a career decision about whether or not she was going to make a career decision to become another Lindsay Lohan type, having turned incredibly skinny. Then qnjones posting as Becky responded quite differently than I had expected by calling Jeremy a dickhead and firing him. qnjones loves to fight as Becky, so I decided to have Jeremy engage in battle in a Jeremy-like fashion, which is to say that he accepts whatever insults are thrown at him, because he thinks he deserves it, but at the same time he throws caustic remarks back at his attacker.

Then in the middle of all this, aprilp_katje drops the line:

i'm @ my mom's store rite now, & she's left me alone here again. she sed that she, moira, & beatrice have an important "business outing".

This was clearly an indication that Howard was supposed to do another restaurant snark for Elly, Moira and Beatrice. I was initially stumped until I decided to open those October monthly letters again and snark on Elly’s and have Beatrice collapse from GPS sensory overload. It occurred to me then, that there were a lot of people not at the Brenda Starr party, where the tropical fruit punch drink was used to cure people of the GPS problems. So, I said, “How would Howard get that drink to all the afflicted Milboroughans?” Therein lay the idea of the newspaper review originally suggested by schmoosie through Brenda Starr last Saturday.

Tomorrow: Madhouse at Mayes, or a whole lotta drinking going on.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Heh--well, Elly having a business outing with Moira and Beatrice was meant to give April a reason to be left alone, and to give Howard the opportunity to snark via overheard conversation. :)

I was a bit surprised at the direction the Becky/Jeremy fight took. I wondered why Jeremy was making those remarks about weight, and the idea of Tangi came to me as I began to have the sense of Jeremy as someone who might have made remarks like this before, in previous relationships. . . .

BTW, Lindsay Lohan has returned to a somewhat healthier weight. ;)

6:23 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I had not been keeping up with Lindsay. Good for her. Perhaps she can have a talk with all the others (Gwen Stefani, Hilary Duff, etc.). Initially the thought behind the weight comment was just Jeremy complaining about having to carry Becky in the mall. But then qnjones as Becky commented on it and so did you, so that got my evil mind started on another possibility. If Jeremy and Becky move back to a more congenial relationship, it might be more like it is in the October letter, roadie to singer. Or all that fighting may inspire them to new levels of lust. I will have to wait and see what happens.

6:38 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

That was how I took the original weight comment as well, which is why April commented about "dead weight." :)

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home