Saturday, October 22, 2005

So much snark it has to be notated

A lot going on today. Normally, I wait for aprilp_katje to post her snark for the day’s strip, before I snark on it, but this Saturday’s strip called out for snarking with such a vengeance that I could not wait. Sorry aprilp_katje. I will try to be better behaved in the future.

This week has been great for snarking. Lynn’s writing has left so many nice holes in the character development to be filled with snark. It was a pleasure to work with Lynn this week. It really made up for the Mtigwaki stuff. Well, not really, but it’s a start. After this, I have high hopes for the Michael quitting his job at Portrait sequence, since he has been painted as a dangerous lunatic by none other than Lynn herself.

As for today, I knew it would be a good day for posting, when I saw that I wasn’t the first poster of the day. It’s usually a bad sign when I am first. Arizona is on Pacific Coast Time right now, so the Atlantic Coast Time people have a 3-hour lead on me.

Some notes:
1. The Brenda Starr snark about the Mexican and French food comes from the current, awful storyline on the Brenda Starr strip.
2. I researched the charges against Thorvald McGuire and posted them on the Meta Canadian thread. It did not look good for Thorvald. I am hoping that my anonymous poster on Canadian law will come in and save the day. If not, I will probably add my research to a post sometime tomorrow.
3. “We are Women, Hear Us Roar” is a takeoff from the original lyrics from the Helen Reddy song done in first person singular. This was the Women’s Liberation National Anthem of sorts back in the 1970s. The fact that it came from Helen Reddy and not a singer more appealing to young women, tells you a lot about the women’s liberation movement.

A digression: Back when I was in college, I went to a debate between Phyllis Schlafly and the late Bella Abzug over the Equal Rights Amendment. I know that really dates me. The audience was composed almost entirely of college women, who were overwhelmingly pro-Bella and pro-ERA. They booed whenever Phyllis spoke and cheered whenever Bella spoke. The thing that struck me at the time was that Phyllis looked very much like June Cleaver in her style of dress and demeanor, whereas Bella looked just like she does in all her pictures, with her unique style of dressing. So, I had an expectation that Phyllis was going to actually argue that women should know their place and that sort of thing. However, that was not the case. Phyllis debated circles around Bella. Phyllis would address Bella’s points directly, whereas Bella kept on referring to Women’s Liberation political rhetoric to make her points and did not actually address the points being made by Phyllis. That could be because Phyllis was a lot younger than Bella, but here’s the kicker: Phyllis’ points were not anything like what I expected. She was in favor of the principles of the ERA, but did not like it because it was poorly written and believed that it could be misinterpreted to undo some of the advances that women’s rights had already made in the laws of some states. After seeing Phyllis and Bella in action, I believe that one of the many reasons the ERA failed to pass, was because it was unable to get the support of the women who are the backbone of the Women’s Liberation movement, the women who like listening to Helen Reddy.

4. As near as I can tell, Neiman Marcus and Macy's do not exist in Canada. The “find a store” function on both their websites has no Canadian entries. What’s up with that? Does Canada have stringent laws to protect their native department stores from foreign invaders?
5. All the Gilligan’s Island things referenced were from actual Gilligan’s Island episodes. One of the things that makes that show timeless is that there was nothing too far-fetched that their writers would not try for the sake of humour. Gilligan is invisible, Gilligan switches brains with animals, Gilligan turns into a human radio. After today though, I’m not sure what I have left for Professor snark in the Brenda Starr party. Someone else may need to pick that up.
6. I decided to pull in some of the April’s October letter stuff the ARB ignored about Becky’s activities, just so we would have covered it before the November letters come out. So, it has come out that Becky has done some performances that were not with Gerald, April, and Duncan. qnjones who posts as Becky handled it well, as usual.
7. I actually could not find any Bajan food restaurants in Toronto, although the_berserker can feel free to correct me. They do have a Bajan food festival sometime in July, but I could not tie that in. So, we had to go with an imaginary restaurant this time. The menu items and band name, I did steal from a Bajan food restaurant located in Barbados. Barbados must be very touristy, judging from the website pictures.
8. I continued with the line of painting Michael a little more sympathetically, along the lines of phatsmacky’s recent Michael posts, but it’s hard to undo the damage already done by Lynn.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Gah! My comment didn't post! Anyway, shorter version--loved the Helen Reddy send-up!

9:16 AM  
Blogger howard said...

schmoosie. As I see the party, Brenda has a couple of things going. Mr. Bottomline is going to show up and force Brenda to let Chef Rock Roquefort into her party. You mentioned the chef before coming to the party. There is some good snarking to be done on the Brenda and Bottomline relationship. I had Howard tell Brenda he loved her in today's post, so there is possible reaction there, since Brenda is married, sort of. They have been quite sexually active, so it might be worthwhile to indicate the way Brenda thinks about their relationship, which is probably a lot different than Howard's icon love. Does that help?

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home