Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A whole lotta Deanna snarking going on

While Lynn Johnston is content to ladle out revenge against the evil Kelpfroths, I decided to take advantage of Howard's new job, to get in a little Deanna/Tracey/Carleen snark. I am convinced that Deanna and Carleen are best friends. I know of so many ladies who, once they were settled with a permanent fellow, went through efforts to either get rid of their man's best male friend or to set up their man's best male friend with a woman she could tolerate (like when Deanna did matchmaking for Carleen with Weed).

I remember, during my dating days, being set up on dates by my male friend's girlfriends or wives, usually with one of their best single female friends. Those dates were always a disaster. Most times, the single lady would spend her entire time talking only to my male friend's girlfriend or wife. Whenever the single lady did display some interest in me, it would turn out that she had something seriously wrong with her. I suppose this says a lot about me actually. There is something about me that attracts women who need counseling.

One lady was in charge of the Animal Shelter and got in big trouble for having most of the animals killed (she claimed animal storage space issues, but the animal rights folks seriously disagreed.) One other lady was unhealthily thin and never talked around her friend or her friend's boyfriend. But when she was alone with me (and this no exaggeration, because I did actually time this one) she could talk for over 3 hours nonstop. She was quite odd, but her conversation style was interesting to examine. She talked like Homer (the writer of the Iliad and the Odyssey), which is to say, she would tell a story, and then when she got to a part of the story that required another story to explain something, she would start into that other story. She would do this until she went several layers deep into stories. Then once she finally finished one of those stories, she would back out to the story of hers she had interrupted. It would have been fascinating, except the stories were tedious revenge stories.

Anyway, I think that Deanna and Carleen are secretly good friends, and so I delighted in them telling stories about how they manipulated their gullible men.

Tomorrow we will deal with eviction law. Put me to sleep already.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I'm really enjoying the Deanna-Carleen angle. :)

6:16 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Thanks for the compliments aprilp_katje and schmoosie. schmoosie, you know that just because Howard would be in jail, doesn't mean that I cannot assume another character and continue snarking. It would be easy to get him out of jail, since he is a one time character in the strip and Lynn will likely never mention him again, once he is in jail. Is it the Howard character you like, or the snark, or both?

10:21 AM  
Blogger howard said...

schmoosie, You are right that Howard has a pretty good relationship with Becky and April as a male not-a-love-interest character. I'll try to keep him around, assuming Lynn doesn't kill him off in the November monthly letters.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home