Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Too Much Coffee for Merrie

The "Elizabeth needs a lesson" was difficult to snark. I decided to focus on the coffee aspect of it, and lean back on a joke that I had established from the previous week, that little Meredith is a coffee addict. I duplicated most of the lines from the strip and tried to write them with an emphasis toward Meredith and 3-year-old speak, but it wasn't too successful. The words are outside the 3-year-old vocabulary, but I couldn't change them too much or I would lose the recognition for the lines from the strip. It seems I have been doing food obsessions lately, given that I had Grandpa Jim have cookie obsession on Sunday. I wonder if this will be a recurring theme.

The poster for Ardith Narayan (whoever that is) has been asking for someone to link her to grandpa Jim, so I have let Howard take this one by the reins and Ardith will interview and be hired by Jim and Iris without too much trouble, hopefully humorously. The character will then be well-placed for Jim and Iris snark and well as be able to mention her past association with Deanna for Dee and Mike snark. I hope that poster takes advantage of it.

I enjoyed running through the Elly moralizing passages of the strip for "Elly's suggestions for teaching lessons to Moira and Beatrice." I decided to go back through strip chronologically backwards until I got enough items to fill a paragraph. It didn't take long. I went from October back to March and stopped. You know you just don't fully realize how preachy the woman is until you take it all in with one sitting. She did not appear in a single storyline sequence without at least one moral platitude. I have to admit the one in airport where she is denouncing the gum chewers, burpers, show foo'ers, cell phone talkers, and people who spill drinks on themselves is a classic. Lynn Johnston was able to cover all her pet peeves in a single panel. Now if she could have just shown the same streamlining with Mtigwaki.

5 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I can only imagine she gets the heebee geebies thinking about dentistry and the constant exposure to people's gaping maws. ;)

7:43 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I had not even made that connection. That makes a lot of sense actually. She did have that strip of Dr. John and Dr. Ted in the diner that one time with Dr. John having to look into an open mouth of food.

8:03 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I think I missed that strip. Was Dr. Ted chewing with his mouth open? LJ sure makes Ted a cad!

10:18 AM  
Blogger howard said...

It was a strip where Dr. Ted and Dr. John are eating and people keep coming up to Dr. Ted and asking for medical advice. John starts feeling sorry for Ted, until someone opens his mouth for him to look at.

11:29 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Ah, gotcha. Hee, if LJ reacts as strongly to opens mouths as Elly does, I can only imagine how mortified she must have been if this has ever happened in her presence. And why do I have a feeling that it has? ;)

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home