Wednesday, October 26, 2005

All About Mira

I have been looking for an opportunity to do some Sobinski snark for awhile. Originally I planned to have Lovey Saltzman and Mira Sobinski cry on each others shoulders at the Kelpfroths about how they did so much for Mike and Deanna, but were constantly ignored in favor of Elly. Unfortunately, we had the strip sequence where Lovey gave the Kelpfroths the eviction notice, and that messed up my plans. Today, I decided to do it in another venue--the "family" party for Wilf Sobinski.

I went pretty far back into Sobinski history for this snark. An interesting thing I noticed about the nature of the relationship between Deanna and Mira is that Deanna's attitude toward her mother has changed over the years from respectful disagreement to covert hatred. During the strip sequence in which Mike throws Wilf and Mira out, after they interrupt their romantic dinner, Deanna says to her mother, "Mike's not a bad person. He'll apologize." The next time Mike throws them out after baby Robin is born, she has no such apologies. In the most recent strip (the lake trip) featuring Mira, Deanna has moved to thinking bad thoughts about her mom, without Mike even being around.

Tomorrow - More teaching about snow machines. Not an easy snark. I may have to wait until the end of the week to do this week's sequence in total.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

In his May 2000 letter (no longer available on the Foob site), Mike reported on the first meeting between his parents and Deanna's. Though Wilf was into golf and John wasn't, they shared a "good sense of humor," and John noted that Wilf had good teeth.

The most fascinating part of that letter, however, was that the "moms get along great. They like the same things and have lots in common. It's funny watching them avoid the subject of our engagement. They are both dying to get into 'wedding mode' and work out all the details. They even know what they are going to wear."

Also, Dee's older sister is named as "Kaitlyn" rather than Andrea. I guess she's had an identity crisis similar to poor Gerald Delaney-Forsythe.

Mira, we learn, "likes to sew and wants to make April's Bride's maid's dress so badly!" For some reason, I can't imagine Mira, as she is currently depicted, doing something as earthy as sewing.

5:12 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I have a special affinity for Mira, because she reminds me a lot of my step mother-in-law. The comments you quoted would actually fit her very well. She spends incredible amounts of money on her grandchildren and step-grandchildren, and yet she likes sewing and sews a lot of things for her grandchildren. She also is extremely opinionated about the rearing of her grandchildren and where they live (we used to live closer but now we don't thanks to a forced movement from my job). She was also really into her step-daughter's wedding (although not so far as to want to sew the bride's maid dresses - too big a job for one person to get them all done and fitting all the women in time.) Unlike Mike and Dee, we realize that her heart is in the right place, even if we don't agree with her advice (which is pretty much oriented on my quitting my job and moving into a house in the same town as theirs, once again like Mira). When I see the things in the strip about the way Mike and Dee treat Mira, I am reminded of the way, my step mother-in-law is treated by her daughter-in-law from her son, with whom she has had a falling-out. They barely speak to each other, except a nodding grunt. And even then, she is better behaved than Mike and Dee.

6:27 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Howard suggested a date, but Brenda didn't pick up on it. As I have set him up, he has Sundays off.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home