Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Dentist Jokes and Jeremy

I started the day with dentist jokes. I looked at the names of teeth and dental equipment, desperate to make up jokes. Fortunately, since they were coming from Dr. John Patterson, the jokes didn’t have to be good, just reasonably bad. My major objective was to create some sort of ridiculous image for April and Brenda Starr to have when they get back together with Howard. Toothpaste and dental floss were obvious choices. Then I just thought it would be fun to see Brenda Starr with a hand puppet.

This was to offset the fact that the snarkable material in the For Better or For Worse strip was quite difficult today. I eventually came up with 2 snarks on the strip. The idea that Polaris was automatically associated with snow machines was amusing to me. So I took the idea to the next illogical step, and made the Polaris snow machine obsession a little more citywide, using actual names of the makes of Polaris snowmobiles in the snark. Thanks to aprilp_katje for providing the link.

The second idea came when schmoosie posting as the Professor (at least I think it was schmoosie) came up with the idea of relating GPS sensor frequencies to harmonic dissonance in music. I was then able to take the words Liz used in her lesson and transpose them into opera musical terms as Howard. It was pretty dull stuff, but at least it was something to do with the strip.

I posted a lot as Jeremy Jones today. I was just in the mood to do that, instead of doing yet another day of Howard overhearing conversations in the restaurant. I intend for Jeremy to be caustic and not very long-winded, in a direct contrast to Howard who is often long-winded and tries overly hard to be nice. I found that the long-winded part was difficult to avoid, if you are using the character to explain some action going on. In the event that the upcoming November letters chuck Howard in jail, then I may sign on for Jeremy full-time. We’ll see what happens.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I enjoyed the contrast of Jeremy, Howard, and the Professor explaining the same concepts. :)

6:43 AM  
Blogger howard said...

schmoosie. Any ideas are welcome. It's hard to anticipate what our other ARB poster Lynn Johnston will do. So, I will see if that idea works with whatever happens in November. I may just put Howard in for those 10 days to give me time to concentrate on developing Constable Paul Wright.

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home