Saturday, April 15, 2006

John Buys a Car Part I

Today we see John and Gordon chat. I think Dr. Patterson is finally getting ready to buy the car he has literally been talking about buying in his monthly letters since last September. I am convinced now that the only reason John and Elly buy cars is so they can somehow keep Gordon and Anthony included in the strip. Lynn is no longer clever enough to come up with other reasons like:

1. They get their teeth checked by Dr. Patterson, DDS.
2. They belong to the same civic or charitable organizations.
3. John and Elly check on their investment.

Those 3 simple things I thought up literally as I was typing it, but Lynn can't do that. Instead we must buy another car.

The things that changed with Gordon was that he was fatter and he has added a convenience store and he would like to redo the parts department and expand Anthony's office. I think somewhere along the road, the Lynnions must have forgotten Anthony was on paternity leave for a year, because back in Mike's December letter he mentions Anthony working at Gordon's and finding it necessary to hire someone else to handle the accounting work because managing Gordon's business and the accounting was proving to be too much for him. This implied Anthony was no longer on paternity leave, but in the strip we have never seen it. The last time we saw Anthony, he was still being paternal. The restaurant was not mentioned, nor has it been mentioned by anything but the signs by Mayes Midtown Motors last year. My guess is that they have dropped the restaurant in favour of the convenience store, but I don't know for sure. A restaurant was always an odd thing to have near a car dealership, but then again so is a convenience store. I expect it is just another indication that Gordon is constantly expanding not only in his waistline but in his business. For a 30-year-old man, he looks terrible.

I didn't do a lot with the characters today. The good constable remarked about what time means to the Ojibway, by virtue of language. Jeremy hid out, fearing another test drive. Howard snarked the strip alterations to Gordon, via his wife and kids.

Then after doing church things, the Mrs. and I took the kids out for dinner and to see the new Disney flick, "The Wild." I cannot recommend it to you. It is one of those films that is beautifully done with the animation, but the persons writing the script are of the belief, if you put a lot of eccentric characters together and drive funny lines a mile a minute that makes a good story. You have to have time to digest an eccentric character. You have to have time to hear a funny line for you to realize it is funny and react.

In any case, I got back and found qnjones was in the middle of a pretty dark comedy story where Thorvald wants to torch Mayes Midtown Motors story to get revenge on Gordon Mayes. qnjones left a nice note indicating where she wanted me to take it. It was a funny setup, but it was difficult to get Thorvald back into a sympathetic situation, considering he did actually seem to be serious about murdering Gordon and Anthony. qnjones requested the place be burned a little, but if Thorvald does that, even if Howard or Becky or Dr. Patterson try to stop him, then ultimately he is attempting murder. So, I put the fire-setting in the capable paws of Freyfaxi in order to keep Thorvald out of too much trouble.

Tomorrow's strip: Merrie has a sugar high from Easter candy. Lots of poorly drawn pictures of Merrie hopping. I put Howard in Toronto for this?

6 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I'm glad you put Howard in Toronto, thereby giving April a source other than Dee or Mike. :)

6:23 AM  
Blogger howard said...

You are quite welcome. It's great to be quoted. Quite an honour.

8:00 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

:)

I hope the quote sounded relatively Howardesque. Also, I had fun posting as Marjee telling a Kelpfroth story.

9:59 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I like Marjee, because she gives you an opportunity to take off the April hat and post from a completely different perspective.

3:38 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I like Marjee for the same reason--she has a completely different relationship with Howard and with Becky, and it's fun to write from that angle. :)

4:08 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I agree. And for that reason, I usually try to put Marjee into situations where April would not fit.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home