Friday, April 14, 2006

Elly Slideshow Part II or Elly Cleans Part IV

It was not really my day. Today is Good Friday, and as I tried to indicate indirectly with Jeremy’s post about the multiple worship services he was attending with Dirne, this is the time of year that is very busy for church musicians, even those with an amateur status, such as I. I lifted the list of services from The Cathedral of St. John inToronto, which is my model for The Cathedral of St. Damian in Milborough.

I bungled the good constable’s post by not reading carefully what aprilp_katje had written about where she had gotten her information from Elly this time. Fortunately, aprilp_katje caught the error and retconned it for me.

Then Howard did one of those “tie everything together” posts, where he related posts from aprilp_katje to the post in the writing workshop journal from greytail088 to qnjones’ post from yesterday involving the Enjo wedding that is not actually occurring. I checked in the archive for Enjos and Dawn appeared at the New Years Eve party 2005, when Liz busted up her leg, Brian is mentioned but not seen when Mike went to Japan for his Divala interview, and Carol appeared in one Sunday strip in which the dogs jump all over her. In any case, there was a case for Elly actually talking to Carol, so I leveraged off that to have Elly mention that Liz said Dawn was getting married to Carol. No one picked up on the Elly reference to how she got that information though. I was quite surprised, because I expected a reaction. But there were a lot of posts today from a variety of people, so it is easy to understand how it could be missed.

Finishing up the day was Jeremy’s mom’s reactions to the bizarre goings-on with Dirne’s off-beat, but very rules-driven family and the philosophy that governs their rules. The idea is that going to second base with a girl is sort of demystified if your girlfriend’s parents and your parents know that is what you’re doing and approve. I don’t know if this would work in real life. When I was a teenager, my mother disapproved of physical contact beyond hand-holding and kissing was to be strictly a private affair, not to be seen by others, a philosophy that was certainly not shared by my high school girlfriend, but was shared by my mother’s father, a Southern Baptist minister.

Tomorrow’s strip: Dr. Patterson is finally going to buy that car from an old, decrepit Gordon Mayes, in a story that appears to be continuing on to next Monday. Once again, the chronology of the strip is getting to me. John’s statement during grampa’s Jim’s birthday party about the Crevasse sedan and Mike’s statement about what John did during his Mexican vacation led me to believe the sale was already a done deal. After all when I bought a car last year, the whole thing was done in a matter of hours. But it appears that, like the sale of Lilliput’s before it, the purchase of the Crevasse sedan and the trading of the Bushwhacker is yet to come.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Uch, the chronology of this strip is all over the place and giving me a headache.

I picked up on Jeremy's reference to the church schedule as an indication of your own busy days. :)

5:18 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I picked up on Jeremy's reference to the church schedule as an indication of your own busy days. :)

Of course, I expected no less from the continuity goddess.

6:25 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

What the hell is it with suddenly porking up all the characters? Must be a new Lynnion at the drawing board.

Mt. Foob Newbie: So, any advice?

Mt. Foob Old-Timer: The fatter and uglier you draw the characters, the happier Lynn will be!

5:37 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Lynn must be very happy, indeed. Bring on the fatties!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home