Thursday, April 13, 2006

Elly Cleans Part III

Actually, Elly gets distracted from cleaning and starts looking through slides. aprilp_katje smartly played this as a journal entry and provided all of my characters an initial snark on peaking in journals and Elly’s motivation for leaving her journal out.

Then I launched into my usual lunchtime discussion and decided I would do an old, old joke about, “Is that a banana in your pants or are you just happy to see me?” except I substituted skateboard for banana and made it Gordie and Vicki. What happened next was quite delightful, as qnjones took the skateboard line and wrote up a bit with Gordie injuring himself on the skateboard. The other posters jumped in on this, and so did my characters of Jeremy and his girlfriend Dirne. qnjones went on a tangent with male impotence due to groin injury and so I decided to do a post with Dirne taking Jeremy to her house to have her dad inspect Jeremy for his ability. This pushed the boundaries of Dirne and her family’s excessiveness with respect to Dirne and her being able to marry and have children. I had originally written up a long post with Jeremy and Dirne’s dad going through the inspection but after writing it, it seemed too creepy to me. So I scratched that in favour of a much more ambiguous post, where it is pretty much up to your imagination what happened, only that whatever it was, was physically taxing to Jeremy.

qnjones did a number of funny Liz posts mentioning going to Dawn Enjo’s wedding, which is an event in which I would expect Liz to participate. We discovered Dawn was engaged by the time she appeared at the 2005 New Years’ Eve party and Liz’s letters do not say differently, so it is reasonable to assume she is still engaged. I decided to check how long Mike and Dee were engaged and it was, as I posted. New Years, 2000 to September, 2001. I proposed to my wife on Easter, 1991 and we got married June, 1992 and I still hear to this day how long an engagement that was. It was actually my fault the engagement was so long. I was particular about the places where I wanted the wedding to be and those places booked up over a year in advance. The difference between me and my wife, and Mike and Dee is that Mike and Dee did not appear to care to set a date after they got engaged. I have a pretty clear recollection, although I do not have an archive to back me up, that Dee kept stalling and stalling. But I may be getting the wedding mixed up with the engagement. I don’t know for sure.

Tomorrow’s strip: As I feared. It’s slide show time. At least they have mercy on April and don’t make her watch.

4 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

Gah, indeed. The screwing expectation. Within my limited experience in this area, I can tell you that every women with whom I had this experience had that expectation. It was not my imagination either because, after it happened, every time marriage was mentioned. To go one step further, if I kissed a girl, she had an expectation that we were officially girlfriend / boyfriend. It sounds ridiculous, but my own real life dating experiences would put my sad sack Jeremy to shame.

As for the wedding, yes, it was quite clear that the Dawn Enjo wedding was a cover. In the strip or in the monthly letters, this would be a big deal (i.e. mentioned, like the older brother Enjo's marriage and children are mentioned occasionally by Mike in his letters. However, Paul is also anxious for marriage, since he fell in love with Liz a little too instantaneously and he had that little faux pas with Elly where he asked if Liz was "engaged" and not if she was single. That tells me that he is marriage-minded to the utmost. So, any chance to get Liz into a wedding situation, he will jump on. I don't know if my posts as Paul made that clear or not.

6:25 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I proposed to my wife on Easter, 1991 and we got married June, 1992 and I still hear to this day how long an engagement that was.

My husband proposed in May 1993 and we married in August of 1994. :)

8:01 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Elly would be so proud of us, maybe Mike, Dee, and Liz too.

10:11 AM  
Blogger howard said...

My dating days were in the Bible belt, so I wonder if they had an influence. I live in Arizona now, where things are much different as far as characteristics of the Bible belt go, like going to church is a lot less popular activity here. I don't know if it applies to sexual expectations too, and barring some disaster (knock wood) I will never know.

What I do remember is that when I was dating, I began to regard a woman very suspiciously if she offered sex, because my experience had been there was always an ulterior motive. One of my few areas in which I feel very fortunate is that I was able to read those situations pretty well, and invariably would find out that there was an ulterior motive later that justified my suspicion.

My favourite story is when a female friend of mine (platonic) invited me to go to a birthday party. There at the party she flirted with me outrageously, I assumed because she knew there would be no consquences for it. Then another friend of hers I had just met at the party, offered me sex. I had just met her and I declined. As it turned out, my friend's friend had a thing for trying to seduce my friend's boyfriends, which she mistakenly assumed I was, since my friend had been flirting with me. I discovered this later on when my friend told me how my friend's friend had successfully seduced her actual boyfriend (a real slimeball) and had gotten pregnant. My thought was, "That could have been me."

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home