Monday, April 10, 2006

Falling off the Monthly Snark Wagon

This month, more than any others that I can remember, the monthly letters are out of synch with the strip. We had to deal with the Eva not having practiced yet with the band or meeting Duncan and today, we are dealing with Lilliputs not actually being sold, even though the monthly letter said it was a done deal. In tomorrow’s strip, Elly finally talks about beginning the basement cleaning mentioned 1 ½ weeks ago in the monthly letter. If this trend continues, we can expect to see the whole Elly cleaning and training April to cook and sew arc in the coming weeks. Given that, I will have to be more cautious with the information presented in the monthly letters. We cannot presume it has already happened or won't be seen in the strip.

Today, qnjones fired off an excellent and most revealing post from Liz, so it became necessary for Constable Paul Wright not to read it. I came up with the excuse, Liz tells him not to read the Real Blog comments, and that does the good constable in for the day.

qnjones also did a marvelous job of snarking today’s strip the day before and created a “Gerald gets repulsive” storyline in order to make himself less attractive and avoid his inevitable marriage to April. Then aprilp_katje mentioned Jeremy was wearing designer shoes chosen by his girlfriend Dirne Aufkleber. I decided to blend the two stories together. Where Gerald was being made more repulsive to not attract April against his will, Dirne believes that April is so fashion inept; a designer shoe Jeremy will repulse her. Dirne is wrong, of course. Our April is fashion-conscious, even if her clothing choices do not confirm this. The story ran into Gerald being sequestered in his attic and a rescue story that unfortunately occurred without aprilp_katje participating. It was probably too late in the evening for her. Won’t she be surprised when she wakes up and finds out what her character was doing while she was sleeping?

Howard took the dogs for a walk and snarked the Pets Letter part involving Elly and walking the dogs for exercise and also the whole hug thing with Moira Kinney in today’s strip. As I was going back through the strips in the archive looking for Elly hugs, I realized Elly has been huggy for the whole “I’m selling my store” storyline. Moira got the “We’re holding each other up” hug at the beginning of this story. So, it is appropriate for Elly to give Moira a hug at the end of the story. Considering the relationship between Moira and Elly over the years, the hugs made little sense, but visually, they were definite bookend hugs on this story.

Tomorrow's strip: The car hovers and Elly ponders the future. What is there to snark about that?

7 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

Sorry to trash the day for Paul posts, though!
No need to apologize. That was my decision and I thought it would be funny to have him agree to not read the comments.

6:09 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I was delighted with April's adventures while I was sleeping--big love to you both. I was gonna jump right over to the "love" thread, but Blogger hates me this morning, to the point that it took me more than 40 minutes, with a computer restart, to get today's blog entry up! Now I'm late--gotta shower, bathe the boy, and get him to story time at the library!

6:10 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I have been fighting Blogger a lot lately myself. Hmm! Bathe the boy? I think April just got a personal bath.

6:39 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Hee--so that's where April's bath came from! :)

My son loves his bath so much that, on most days, he wants to wait until all the water has drained out before he'll agree to leave it. Today, I was able to convince him to short circuit that process in the interest of getting ready fast for story time.

10:04 AM  
Blogger howard said...

A few years ago, my boy accidentally broke my nose. After the doctor moved it back into its original position, I was pretty doped up and I wasn't supposed to get the nose bandages wet. So, I sat in a bathtub while the Mrs. bathed me. It was pretty darn wonderful. So, it is from this experience that I write the Howard giving baths storyline.

By the way, when I was little, I was just like your boy WRT the water draining.

11:20 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

So, I trust I can expect my son to grow out of the draining-bath thing? ;)

2:27 PM  
Blogger howard said...

So, I trust I can expect my son to grow out of the draining-bath thing? ;)

Yes. Once you convince him it is safe to use the shower and he won't drown with his head under the flowing water. I think my kids were about 6 or 7 when that happened.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home