Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Eva and Duncan Sitting In A Tree

Today’s strip. Did I do anything with today’s strip? Not really. I don’t know exactly how it’s going to end, so I steered away from referencing the activities, except to have Jeremy give reasons why he wasn’t there for the jamming events of the strip. In combination with tomorrow’s strip, it is really going in reverse chronological order. I was sort of joking when I mentioned that yesterday. Today I am not.

The new persons in the band are obviously going to be the big, sunglasses and beret-wearing guy and his girlfriend who is of some ethnic background. I have no idea what from the Sunday colour strip. When they arrive, I will be forced to do another retcon on having designated them as Vicki and Gordie. In actual chronological sequence we have:

1. 4-Evah jams and stinks (not shown)
2. Somehow April learns Eva can sing (not shown)
3. April finds out Eva does not play keyboards and for reasons beyond my understanding, has it in her head, they have to have someone play keyboards and they have to have only 4 members. This part doesn’t make any sense, but I will have to accept it as a part of April’s deranged reasoning (not shown).
4. April complains to grampa Jim about items #1-3. (Last Thursday)
5. Repeat item #1 for no apparent reason. (Monday)
6. Eva auditions and the band decides to deal with all the problems of item #3. (Tuesday, Wednesday)
7. New band members audition and we find out their names (I predict Thursday – Saturday)
8. April goes shopping with Eva before her birthday (Mentioned in April monthly letter, even though nothing is mentioned about the band or her new bandmates.)
9. April goes with all her bandmates to her birthday bash (Last Sunday).

In any case, it appears that contrary to a certain Elly monthly letter, Eva is not going to have any commitment problems with Duncan. They are practically dating. I have no idea how the_berserker and susannamoodie are going to handle this. I liked the idea of Duncan and Zandra Larson having a romance, but it does directly conflict with the direction the strip is going. Maybe susannamoodie can take over Eva.

My other problem has to do with interpreting the mysterious hints dropped in John Patterson’s April monthly letter with respect to Elizabeth. The implication is that Elizabeth will no longer be in Mtigwaki after this year and will be coming south. They have already set up her replacement in the strip and Jesse Mukwa has anointed her in his own way. I have no idea how it will work out with Constable Paul Wright. The strip said he was applying for transfer to Spruce Narrows to be closer to Liz, but what good is that, if she leaves in June to go back to the south permanently? I know Lynn plays fast and loose with his job and his ability to transfer, but does this mean that in June, he transfers to Toronto to be close to Lynn? Or does it mean he gives up his constable career to follow her? Or (worst case possible) is the good constable history in favour of Anthony? I have no idea.

As for my posts today. I had Jeremy snark the startling number of inconsistencies in John’s monthly letter versus his previous monthly letters. aprilp_katje wrote a number of posts as Jeremy's girlfriend, Dirne. It was quite delightful to see a character I had made up take on a life of its own. That was a first for me.

I had the good constable tell the story of Liz and Paul visiting his uncle. Since Liz said they were Ojibwe, I presumed they were from his mother’s side and I also presumed that their “teasing” was not all that good-natured (which Liz actually hinted in the monthly letter) and touched on the issue of Paul having a white girlfriend, by snarking on Liz’s odd story about doing beadwork.

Last was Howard snarking the teenager fear in the old people of Milborough. I hesitated to bring back the violent aspect of Howard, because I have played him very effeminate and gentle lately, but I thought it could work if it was tempered with a lot of humourous lines. It was also a good explanation as to why Howard has not posted lately. The real reason he hasn’t posted is because I have been very busy at work and home, and doing all 3 of my characters proved to be too much for me to pull off.

A note to qnjones. I hope your speech went well. I was thinking about you.

7 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

The new persons in the band are obviously going to be the big, sunglasses and beret-wearing guy and his girlfriend who is of some ethnic background. I have no idea what from the Sunday colour strip. When they arrive, I will be forced to do another retcon on having designated them as Vicki and Gordie.

We could throw in a comment about the remarkable resemblance between these two new characters and Vicki/Gordie. :)

The theory on reverse chronological order: If April suddenly shows up with a new hairdo shortly after this sequence, this will support your hypothesis. In any event, it's sloppy sequencing.

qnjones, I was thinking of you, too--hope you caught the good vibes. :)

6:01 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Now you mention the hair, I noticed that it seemed to be pretty well drawn in today's strip, with some actual hair flow and not just the usual blob. I wonder if she had her hair done, but still keeps it in her bun?

9:45 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

As I mentioned at Foobiverse, the back view of April's head in panel 3 does look to me like shorter hair that she took great pains to force into her old style. Which may prove just how much the Lynnions hate me! ;)

10:47 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I will have to admit that in silhouette, April's hair style made it easy to figure out which one she was. Of course, I was not really sure why they needed to put the characters in silhouette just to draw attention to all three of them saying, "Makeover. Makeover. Makeover." You would think the giant letters would be enough.

12:25 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

::praying that April is inspired and gets herself a makeover:: ;)

1:42 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Since the Lynnions seem to be charge now, maybe they will feel the urge to revolt against the April hairstyle. Of course given the current drawing ability of the Lynnions, you might not like what they come up with.

2:14 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

LOL! Good point. ;)

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home