Monday, April 03, 2006

April Monthly Letters

I have some retconning to do. I did this whole plot with Constable Paul Wright visiting Liz over March break and now the monthly letters come out and I find I was wrong. She visited him. That was a surprise considering she had made a big deal about how she couldn’t visit him in the last monthly letter. That should be easy to retcon however, and possibly quite enjoyable since she has left plenty of room for snarking with her comments about being teased.

However, the daily strip has screwed me over as far as Eva goes. Tomorrow’s strip has Eva just now meeting the band and has Duncan just now looking at Eva romantically. This wouldn’t even be necessary if the Lynnions abided even remotely by their monthly letters which had Duncan interested in Eva back in November, or for that matter even last week’s strip from which it could be inferred from April’s conversation with grandpa Jim that the band had already jammed together, already was determined to be toast, and already had Eva sing with them and had the problem with her not playing keyboard raised. I can sort of understand the Sunday colour strips being off with the daily strips since the lead time on them is different, but it is almost like they are running the daily strips in reverse chronological order.

Given that time incongruity, aprilp_katje could set this conversation about the band in the past, or write up something about how Gerald doesn’t want Eva to attend rehearsals even though she already has. Gerald has had control issues with the band before with Becky, and that could play out realistically. The other major issue is that susannamoodie and the_berserker have been building slowly to a Duncan Anderson– Zandra Larson romance, and this sequence in the strip would totally screw that up. I tried to lay the ground work in my Jeremy post, how it might not screw it up, and still allow Duncan to be interested in Eva…sort of, while still continuing after Zandra. All of these things are not up to me, so I will let the person posting for those characters sort it out and try to follow their lead on these stories. Yes. I am wimping out.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Since I'd already set the current strips as this past Sunday, I just chalked up the discrepancies with Eva as the boys' forgetfulness. Not the most creative retcon, but that's what I came up with on the fly!

When I read the thing in Liz's letter about the teasing, I was thinking this was going to be great fodder for your Paul posts. :)

5:13 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Forgetfulness because of erasure. Interesting. But it makes better sense than the strip actually, since supposedly Eva had been a part of April's gang since last November. It doesn't make sense Duncan would be all googly-eyed over a girl he met 5 months ago.

5:55 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Heh--lately it seems as though just about anything we might come up with makes more sense than what we're seeing in the strip. ;)

I guess that, following your theory about how the strips will flow in a collection, the gap between Duncan's first glimpse of Eva from the bus ride and his googly-eyed response in today's strip won't be as huge as in their original publication order.

6:48 PM  
Blogger howard said...

That is my guess also. Plus they don't put the original publication dates of the strips in the collections, although the time passage can be judged by clothing. I noticed Gerald and Duncan are in short sleeves and April is baring her midriff, so it must be warm in Corbeil.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home