Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Things Going Bump in the Night

Last night about 1:30 am I was woken up by this tremendous crash on the floor of my bedroom. I got up and found my wife was on the floor with her face bloodied up. It turned out she had gotten up in the middle of the night to use the rest room and had passed out on the way back. Her face apparently slammed into the carpet, leaving a nice carpet burn from the bottom of her chin to the top of her nose. It looked awful, but of a greater concern was why she had passed out.

We spent a long time in the Emergency Room and after many tests, the doctor came to the stunning conclusion that “These things happen, although not usually to someone your age.” I suppose the positive side was that they did not find anything in the tests. Of course the other side is that I don’t know if it was a one-time occurrence or if it could happen again while she is driving with kids in the car. So, I took the day off work and handled the kids today. That is the reason why I did not post anything to April’s Real Blog until the end of the day. Tomorrow may be similar since my wife still feels woozy.

As for today’s posts, there is not too much to say. I tried to work the word “amazing” into posts. My most vigorous snark on the day’s strip came from Constable Paul Wright who took a positive stance on the strip’s feeble attempts to show Elly and John appreciating their son. I also enjoyed researching to see if the Ojibway actually used the “talking stick” described by qnjones posting as Liz. I don’t know how commonly it is used among the Ojibway, but I did find a few references. The phrase “talking stick” does not exist in my Freelang Ojibway to English dictionary. However, the word “frying pan” does exist. I expect the talking stick is more commonly used by other Indian tribes than the Ojibway.

qnjones as Becky posted she was being invited out by the fairly frequently mentioned in April’s Real Blog, super athlete Drew Fontaine. I decided to create a side plot involving Drew’s ex-girlfriend and Jeremy’s Friday night blind date to make things interesting (for me at least). However, I have left what the side plot is, loosely defined, so it can be written as almost anything by anyone who wants to. Nobody needs to worry about stepping on my toes.

Tomorrow’s strip: Actually a pretty good strip. It may be difficult to snark, as the strip itself portrays Elly negatively and Mike positively. The Lynnions must be desperate to improve Mike’s character, if they are willing to sacrifice Elly-is-perfect for this purpose.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I hope your wife feels better very soon--that all must have been frightening!

I also loved Howard's admonitions to Gerald.

7:32 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

I googled "Ojibway talking stick" and I also found references. I am not suggesting they don't use a talking stick, but that the practice may have been more prevalent in other Indian tribes and adopted by the Ojibway. The things that important to the Ojibway are pretty clear in their language. The have many words for dreaming and also for fishing, so I can tell these were big for them. For an example of an adopted practice, the grass dancing done in the strip for the pow-wow is a dance picked up from plains Indians and adopted.

As for my wife, she is sleeping now, so I have a brief period of posting while lunch is cooking. The only medication my wife takes is birth control, but blood pressure was suggested by the doctor. She had her chest and her head checked for blood clots with a lovely iodine drink and a CT scan. The doctor did not mention being disrupted in the middle of delta wave sleep as a possibility, but that could be it. After she fell, she wanted to lie on the floor and go back to sleep. We do have the topical Neosporin which she has been applying liberally, and prescriptions for an antibiotic and pain medication.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery as well! I love how Paul can put a positive spin on any situation.

11:03 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Thank you for all your well-wishes for my wife. I have problems with doctors also, because it takes so much time and effort to find one that will take the time and effort to figure out what is wrong with you, when it is not obvious.

I am looking forward to Paul's second meeting with Elly and I was extremely disappointed it did not happen over Christmas. I am also looking forward to Paul's first meeting with Anthony.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home