Sunday, March 19, 2006

The End of Belfrieda Batsize

With the arrival of the Pattersons back into the strip for March break, it was time to also bring back Dr. Ted McCauley and Krystle McGuire. I had planned when they came back to get rid of Belfrieda Batsize, the ingenious idea qnjones had for allowing Howard to live at Becky’s house without arousing the suspicions of the good doctor and Becky’s mother. But after doing a sequence of stories with Howard not in disguise at Becky’s house (thanks to the vacationing parents), it was evident to me that I was enjoying the freedom of not having Howard so closely tied to Dr. Ted and Krystle. So, I opted to give Dr. McCauley a reason to fire Belfrieda and hire Howard. Bye Belfrieda.

I did an internet search for mental institution dating services and much to my surprise found information that I was able to use for Jeremy Jones and his expressed belief that the only woman for him was a crazy woman. I couldn’t see doing a series of Jeremy in the mental institution posts, so I gave him an out and turned his mother onto the idea of setting Jeremy up with girls. I remember very well the one and only time my mother ever set me up on a blind date. I was 27 and the woman was one of my mom’s fellow teachers, whom I remembered when I was a student at the same school where my mother taught. I tried to make the best of it, but there was something about being on a date with someone I remembered as an authority figure that was unsettling. The other unsettling part was when I realized how desperate the poor woman was, not only to agree to the date in the first place, but the look of desperation during the date as she tried in vain to laugh at every little thing I said. I swore never to do that again. Jeremy’s mother will not be setting Jeremy up on dates with women 10 years his senior, but I do have a few dating disasters in mind for him.

Constable Paul Wright. The good constable mainly leveraged off of the_berserker’s very funny post about the misadventures of Duncan during the magic act, to have his partner point out similarities between Duncan and Paul as far as getting scratched by cats goes. It was interesting to put things in that perspective, but considering the stories with Paul, qnjones posting as Liz and I have been doing lately, I expect Paul would return to Otter County and get harassed by his partner by how scratched up he was every time.

Tomorrow’s strip: It is difficult to tell exactly where this is going. Mike is going to pick up Elly and John at the airport, which means they could tell Mike all about Baja, Mexico in flashback, or we could see Elly giving Mike the 3rd degree about quitting his job and buying their house in Milborough. As for the strip itself, creepy Mike makes a pun from which it could be inferred that Mike has been picking up or is planning to pick up other girls than Merrie and Dee.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...


I did an internet search for mental institution dating services and much to my surprise found information that I was able to use for Jeremy Jones and his expressed belief that the only woman for him was a crazy woman.


Wow--and once again, truth is stranger than fiction!

10:06 AM  
Blogger howard said...

You can find practically anything on the internet. Isn't it great?

10:35 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Sure, you think so, and I think so, but according to John an' Elly, it's just a big ol' bastion of terrible information. ;)

11:28 AM  
Blogger howard said...

John and Elly sort of played the "I trust you, but I am still warning you" talk about the internet. That stance is somewhere between the correct position of "Here's what I don't want you to do." and "I don't care what you do." The biggest problem with John and Elly as parents is not that they are bad parents. It is that they are mediocre, but like to act like they are great.

It is the "acting like they are great" which is the most irritating. It wouldn't be too bad, except they are constantly comparing themselves to the Sobinskis. When they do this over issues where the Sobinskis are clearly the better parents, I sometimes wonder if this is some kind of parody, like when Homer Simpson calls himself a good dad and Ned Flanders a bad dad.

As I recollect, the real life Lynn let her son go homeless at one point, rather than give him money, in order to make some kind of bizarre point. I forget where I read that. However, the attitudes of the Pattersons reflect that of the Johnstons on parenting and I suppose it wouldn't be practical for her staff to say, "Lynn that is really not the thing a good parent would do." I suppose we should be thankful that Lynn doesn't espouse beating kids as discipline.

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home