Tuesday, March 14, 2006

All About Eva

Today's strip was fun to snark. Whenever the strip uses a lot of different kinds of sound effects, there is always some way to work them into a story.

Constable Paul Wright - He was able to work a Mtigwaki reference into the April's story, at long last. I will probably have him visit Liz again soon, since she is supposedly on her March break.

Howard K. - He is gradually moving around to an idea suggested to me by qnjones, that he perform at the Valhalla, the supper club being created to showcase Becky McGuire. There is no need to push this one along, as there is plenty of opportunity for the character to move to the situation out of the situation in which he is currently in, maid to Becky's family.

Jeremy Jones - He is going pretty vigorously down the story introduced by aprilp_katje to get rid of Eva, at the sacrifice of his romantic relationship with Becky McGuire. I have doubts as to whether we will see Becky or Jeremy soon in the strip. If it was going to happen this month, it would have already happened. As it is, I see the strip focusing on April at home for the rest of the week, with nothing being done for school characters. I think this affords the opportunity for Jeremy and Eva to do a whole host of things, although I can see the invisible act wearing thin pretty quickly, without having to worry about things in the strip interfering with it. In a comparable story, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, the story worked on its consistent elements. The ghost was always the ghost, seen only by Mrs. Muir. Eva could stay as an invisible companion to Jeremy, but she is not a detached ghost. She has parents and other family. So either they are restored, or they all have to go. It may be premature to get rid of Eva simply based on the fact the March monthly letters did not mention her. Another similar character of Beatrice Alfarero disappeared after one appearance in the strip, was mentioned occasionally in the monthly letters, and then popped up a year later. However, it is clear from the strips that Eva is not having lunch with April, as was described in the letters. She could exist in a similar situation as Jeremy and Becky, as an indirect associate still attending school.

The other question is where the relationship with Jeremy and Eva go after what would be an extraordinarily bonding experience for most people. Jeremy's professional relationship with Becky is put on hold until the Valhalla supper club story runs its course, which may take awhile. Jeremy is a high school kid and could not maintain the full-time job responsibility of running the sound for a supper club business. His situation works much better with Becky's sort of occasional weekend gig.

There are a lot of things up in the air about Jeremy, and no reason to make any decisions, so long as Lynn continues to torture us with her current storyline.

5 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I'm following your lead with the Eva story--I'm not sure whether we ought to restore her or leave her in a limbo state until the Lynnions bring her back (if they do). Hmmmm. Should we start a thread at the Meta?

7:17 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Eva is a perfectly fine character for April's Real Blog and certainly just as viable as Brian Dribbledraph or any other made up character, if not moreso, since she has actually made an appearance in the strips and has mentioned in the letters as recently as February. You took her up when Adrianne left, I gathered more to conclude storylines started with her than anything else and you obviously intended to drop her. Sorry for picking her back up again, but your method of dropping her was too irresistible.

The real question for Eva is whether or not anyone wants to take her and regularly post as her and develop her as a character that fits with the confines of what has been presented about her, i.e. resolving the conflict between the strip and the letters about the relationship between April and Eva in as humourous and snarky a method as possible. Without that happening, the options I see are these:
a. Eliminating her from April’s Real Blog. She disappears completely. I don’t like this one, because she has been in the letters too recently.
b. Leaving her on April’s Real Blog, but unassigned, so anyone can pick her up if they want to, sort of like Michael is now, where people post as him when the mood strikes or the snark calls for it.

8:03 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

There is nothing to apologize for--as I'd mentioned, I thought Eva was about to vanish for good, but I'm perfectly happy to write her in the storyline you've established. It's great stuff. I love the special effects, such as Eva shimmering when she does something new or reverts to her old habits. And there are many possibilities as she sort of flits back and forth between reappearing and slipping into her limbo state. I don't know about taking her on longterm, but I'm happy to play in the current arc. :)

(And I agree about the worm-eating. I feel guilty whenever I see one of those "no one loves me" messages!)

9:07 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Could Howard perhaps perform every night, but only once, so he only has to be gone from the house for an hour or so? I would like Howard to keep living with the McGuire/McCaulays.

Well, I have a plan in mind for Howard to be able to perform and still live with the McGuire / McCauleys, that will go into effect once Ted and Krystle return. I also planned to get rid of Belfrieda Batsize, unless you have a love for her also. Let me know.

I've been going to bed at 9 pm the last few nights.

What? Are you sick?

I feel guilty whenever I see one of those "no one loves me" messages!

I have the opposite feeling. I say, “Whoo hoo! I get to do a worms message.” Of course, if it happened more often, I wouldn’t be very happy. But every once in awhile is not too bad.

10:19 AM  
Blogger howard said...

That is really interesting, actually. I had a very similar thing happen to me when I got to my teenage years. Prior to being a teenager, I used to get up at 6 am every morning without an alarm clock. After becoming a teenager, I wanted to sleep until noon. It lasted through university and for the first 2-3 years of my working life. It was really hard to get up in the morning and I was very sleepy during my morning classes at school. At work, they used to make fun of me for being the last one to get to work in the mornings. Then at work, my boss needed someone to work the graveyard shift from 11 pm to 7 am. That really messed me up. It felt pretty good until around 3 to 4 am every day. Then I would get really, really sleepy—a lot sleepier than I had been in the mornings when I tried to sleep at night. After about 2 years of working 3rd shift, they took me off and put me back on 1st shift. I have been an early morning riser ever since. Now, the only time I can sleep late is when I am sick.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home