Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The More the Marry-er

This morning, I was determined to have more posters to April’s Real Blog, even if I had to do it myself. So, I went on a tangent of having comic strip daughters address April with their description of what their mother did or did not do in the morning, and mentioned the family dog if there was one as a part of the equation. This proved to be unnecessary as greytail088 posted as Vicki Simone and adrianne_p finished her sabbatical and start posting again as Eva and Alexandra Love.

My main plot for the day had to do with putting the concluding touches on the Howard / Marjee / Everett story, by introducing a character that I had mentioned peripherally before, Jennifer, the dental assistant. Jennifer appeared in 2 strips in 2003, and as near as I can tell has never reappeared. She is shapely and attractive, and if Dr. Everett Callahan were to be portrayed as heterosexual in the strip For Better or For Worse, he would be sure to date her. I decided to have Jennifer come into the hair salon where Howard and Marjee work, and attempt to make peace with them in an obnoxious and somewhat arrogant way. I have reasons for this. Years ago, when I was single, I participated in a singles group in which there was a young woman who was very pretty and was also a dental assistant. She was outgoing, and most people liked her, but she had the tendency to say very rude things to people as if it were perfectly natural and acceptable to do so. This is the person I envisioned when I was writing Jennifer. As for the idea of dentists marrying dental assistants, it has been my privilege to know a number of young ladies over the years who chose their professions primarily because it allowed them regular exposure to wealthy men. So, I also added that to the Jennifer mix. In the strip, the only thing that is really known about her is that John Patterson and she swap puns during the course of dental procedures and grandpa Jim thinks she is attractive.

Tomorrow’s strip: Elly goes on autopilot and makes it to her shop. If this story arch continues, we might get to see the first appearance of Beatrice Alfarero since she was hired to work at Lilliputs. I can hardly wait.

3 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

However, I have to quibble with the idea that, in real life, they would definitely be dating if both were heterosexual.

In real life, you are right. In the Foobiverse, a different story.

I hope you missed me during my Seinfeld sabbatical. ;)

But of course. Pardon me for not mentioning it.

5:45 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

ARB ... not so much = )

:(

6:15 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Adrianne,

My sentiments echo those of aprilp_katje's and qnjones'. I have enjoyed posting with you.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home