Monday, January 16, 2006

The Breakup is a Fait Accompli

I felt it coming during the course of the day. As I was doing a Jeremy post, once again denying what had been told to him about his relationship with Alexandra Love being over, the feeling occurred. It was a feeling of retconitis – the disease that afflicts you when you retcon too much. I knew then I had to find a way for Jeremy to be able to accept that Alexandra Love had, in fact, broken up with him. The ever lovely adrianne_p (I know she’s lovely. I have seen the picture.) posting as Alexandra gave me a story about Alexandra being taunted with the old Germy Wormy Jeremy Jones thing. It occurred to me that Alexandra’s sister would hear about it and when Alexandra returned home from school crying, her parents would inquire from the sister, who would then spill the beans. Next had to do with the convincing of Jeremy. I thought it would be amusing for each of the Love family to fail to convince him and then have Jeremy’s pull the coup de grace of finally convincing him. The key element was Jeremy’s prior breakup with qnjones’ Becky and Jeremy’s breakup with Tangi Origami, a character made up by aprilp_katje known for her eating disorder. I had Tangi break up with Jeremy by biting him (I know people with eating disorders don’t bite people to break up with them. At least not all of them.) and giving him a scar to match my most favourite line from the Becky breakup --- exploding clowns. So, the joke is poor Jeremy thinks the woman has to physically scar him in order to break up with him.

The other element of today’s posts was Howard K. He worked his uncle Melville and aunt Winnie magic by suggesting that the argument with the Melville and Mira in today’s strip would simply conclude with more people, more yelling and nothing accomplished. Considering the situation with Melville has not changed one iota since it started, this is a fairly safe assumption. Tomorrow’s strip seems to be proving me out, as it adds Wilf and Mike to the mix and has yet more yelling and no resolution.

The second part was the introduction of Chef Sophia, the fashion model whom Josef Weeder loved briefly before she put him in her place. Then Josef decided to choose his assistant Carleen for romance. I remember that whole Carleen sequence as being very suspicious to me. When she first appeared as his assistant, my first reaction was, “Weed has an assistant?” Then Mike and Dee start pushing Weed unrelentingly toward Carleen as a future romantic partner. Then I said, “No. Not assistant. Convenient reason for double dates.” Unfortunately for me, I had completely forgotten the post-Halloween April’s Real Blog episode that did include Sophia as a foil for Weed and Mike until aprilp_katje (continuity goddess extraordinaire) reminded me. In that story, Sophia and Carleen are working together. In retrospect, that seems like an unlikely pairing, considering Weed started dating Carleen only after Sophia told him she was not interested in him. I would have expected Carleen to have some resentment of Sophia, since Weed considered her to be second best. My sequence allowed me to answer a question I had been hinting about for awhile, that Howard was set up on blind dates during the holidays by his family and who that person was. I don’t know if anyone was following those hints at all. But the answer is Sophia.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I caught the hints when Howard dropped in those details about a photographer and his treacherous assistant. :)

7:21 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Ah, but of course. Never underestimate the continuity goddess.

8:26 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

That's OK. I don't need the love ::Sob. Sob.:: Now off to see what mischief you have planned.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home