Saturday, January 07, 2006

Howard Finally Reveals His Dreaded Secret

Well it was not that dreaded actually. It was mainly revealing that he had more than one motivation for taking the job back in July to pretend attack Elizabeth. Whenever I read through those Howard strips, his coming on to Liz is so painfully obvious; it seems plain to me that he was just acting. The only part I couldn’t explain was the thought balloon he had in the middle of it, saying he liked girls who hit back. I had originally toyed with the idea of making Howard say that he is a method actor and gets into the part completely so much that he actually thinks like the character. I was never able to find a way or time to make that particular confession seem natural.

However, this whole business with the Liz having to beat off suitors left and right, gave me the opportunity and so I decided to take it. It also worked very well with the Dennis North / Liz relationship. Particularly the strip on Tuesday August 19, 2003, when he starting talking about he didn’t want to stop being friends with Liz and it was the story of his life how someone he’s become close to is leaving. Barforama. I have long wanted a way to work in snark on that strip, and it finally appeared today.

As for the good constable, who got the Liz confession she was not in love with him via April today, he has no choice but to wait for Liz to warm up to him and I tried to express that as well as I could in his posts today. In the meantime, I enjoyed researching bus lines between Toronto and Thunder Bay. I don’t think there is such a bus line as the Tundra Trails bus line, but Greyhound bus line makes the trip so I was able to find the basic travel times. It was interesting to note in researching this, the first time Liz went to Mtigwaki, she took a plane to Thunder Bay and then the bus from there to Spruce Narrows. I wonder why she doesn’t do that anymore.

The rest of the day was pretty normal for the characters. Jeremy loaded Rebeccah’s equipment and watched hockey with Alexandra and Howard moped about feeling sorry for himself.

Tomorrow’s strip seems to show Robin going through the terrible 2’s, although he is a little ways from being 2. I think he is 1 year 2 months, so he is kind of young for the “no” stuff. As I recollect, I think my kids were closer to 2 before they started complaining about nonexistent problems (i.e. things other than wet diapers, being hungry, having an upset tummy or wanting to be held.). My memory could be fuzzy on this point, so more recent parents who frequent this Blog can feel free to correct me.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I agree it's way early for Robin to be giving that "NO!" At 14 months, my son hadn't yet learned to say that word. He only started saying it a little while after turning two, and even then, he was just repeating more than actually negating. And he originally pronounced it "MO." "MO. YES. MO. YES." Now he does a good "No." He'll be three in two months. :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

Thanks for the confirmation. It gave me some fuel for my Jeremy post about poor Robin.

12:54 PM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

Thank you. I think Dennis and Liz and the Patterson allure worked as snark because deep down, that's the way Lynn actually thinks of it.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home