Friday, January 13, 2006

WTF

Today’s strip was one of those WTF moments with Mike banging his head on the wall. You get to a point where you are reading For Better or For Worse and you say, “Am I actually reading this? Did Lynn Johnston actually do this to her characters and her comic strip?” We have had a few of them lately:

1. April turning into a 7-year-old being rocked on her mother’s lap.
2. Mike confessing all the bizarre things he wanted to do to torture the Kelpfroths after he bought their building.
3. A month of stories having to do with April having zits.
4. A week of stories having to do with vacuuming.
5. (And my favourite that got me into the ARB in the first place) Howard being defeated by an ear-tweaking from Anthony. Whenever I go back to look at that strip, I am still dumbfounded.

It’s good for doing snark, but they were such jaw-dropping moments, it’s hard to believe they came from someone who actually cares about the characters in this strip. I wanted to say, “Lynn. Are you aware that the people who actually beat their heads against walls have something seriously wrong with them, and you just did that to one of your major characters?” I don’t know what she was thinking.

My other astonishing moment today came from adrianne_p, who is planning to have her character of Alexandra Love break off the romance with Jeremy. It’s been an interesting time posting with adrianne_p on Alexandra and Jeremy as girlfriend/boyfriend. I have had to learn about the TV show Lost which I had never seen. I know much more about the Milton Icehawks and the Junior A hockey league, which are 2 things I never knew existed. I learned about RPI hockey cheers and I am much more familiar now with the scheduling of NHL games than I ever was before. I am now also familiar with high school hockey scheduling in Toronto. I am also much more familiar with the coffees offered by Starbucks, a place, believe or not, I have never been (unless you count passing by the ones in the airports and supermarkets.) I must confess, I am not a coffee drinker. I suspect adrianne_p sensed a vibe about this, and that’s reason why she is breaking off the romance.

I should mention something that I have not mentioned before. There was a post, weeks ago, where Alexandra Love took Jeremy to task for posting about them kissing. Ever since then, Jeremy has been using euphemisms for kissing in his posts, in deference to that Alexandra request. I must admit, it has been fun finding different ways to say it. If anyone noticed this characteristic of Jeremy, that is the reason why.

Tomorrow’s strip: Mira provides a positive example for fighting back against the Kelpfroths. Fighting back gives Deanna a headache. She is such a Patterson. Of course, her headache could be due to a struggle inside her mind between her common sense self and her Patterson self. Which one will win? My guess is Patterson.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Patterson. I definitely think Patterson will win out.

Nonfat powdered milk and Equal. ;)

5:53 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Adrianne,

No cream, no sugar, no nonfat powdered milk, no Equal. No coffee at all. I am afraid I usually have OJ in the morning. OJ w/o pulp, even.

So, I am not sure what gender or age of gender you would consider that. I am not sure I want to know. It could have a devastating effect on my poor fragile ego.

8:19 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Thanks Adrianne. It's good to have friends who will overlook your flaws.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home