Friday, December 09, 2005

Howard on Pheromones

My mother used to breed Irish setters when I was young. I remember vividly, when we had the in-heat Irish setter mom in our garage, every single dog in our neighbourhood was outside our house, scratching and whining. By neighbourhood, I mean a good square mile. I knew all the dogs owned by the other kids in the neighbourhood, and they were all there. Humans are attracted to each other off of visual cues, the same way as birds. I have often wondered how our society would be if we operated like the dogs do. What would it be like, if when any woman’s body said it was time to mate, the scent would go out, and you would have no choice but to quit whatever you were doing and pursue that woman until someone had impregnated her? With this in mind, I tried to show this perspective from Howard remembering his dog days.

Fiona Brass. Someone suggested Howard have a relationship with Fiona Brass, when I solicited suggestions from 3 weeks ago on this Blog. I cannot think of any person in the Foobiverse less attractive than Fiona. I originally started with the idea of them dating, but then thought an engagement would be funnier. When I think about them kissing, I was reminded of the old movie Harold and Maude, except those actors are more glamourous than Howard and Fiona. Anyway, the ARB posters tried to talk Howard out of it. I had great fun countering each of the arguments with dog-related answers.

Today, Jeremy Jones was mainly a catalyst for the “April tries out as a cheerleader idea.” I enjoyed making up cheers that riffed off the school name of R.P. Boire, where “boire” is French for “to drink.” The masterstroke of this story was adrianne_p’s mention that April is wearing thong underwear. Things took off from there. A lot of good posts by the posters at April’s Real Blog.

Tomorrow’s strip: Why April likes suck-ups.

6 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Yup, it was me posting as Ted who made the first thong sighting! (I misremembered today when I said April was the first one to mention it. D'oh!) :)

9:29 AM  
Blogger howard said...

My bad! I should have reviewed the posts instead of relying on memory. Congrats, aprilp_katje on the thong idea. That was great!

11:53 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Hee--thanks, Howard. I'm glad I was able to plant a detail that could give us so much play. :)

12:03 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Adrianne,

The future sis comment was a build on your line from Alexandra'z mother about how she could do better. One thing I remember very clearly about teenage boys is that when they do fall in love, they fall hard. Jeremy in the strips prior to the recent ones was a bully in how he treated April and then he was a loner after he got hit by the car. Nobody visited him in hospital except April and her mother and when he was seen afterwards, he was always by himself. Picking up Jeremy Jones as a roadie and audio man by RebeccaH is a major change for Jeremy Jones. It means he is gaining societal acceptance that he previously never had. In addition, the reason he is getting this acceptance is because of skills he picked up from his father, so that could mean some distancing from his mom. It could also mean that his mom lets Jeremy have a great deal of freedom, in order to keep his affection and to accomodate his work. After all, if he is truly working as a roadie and sound man, he is going to be up late regularly.

On the other hand, Jeremy is not an attractive guy. In the October monthly letter, April likened his appearance to being a bad boy that didn't quite make you want to lose your lunch. Your icon of Alexandra shows her as being very attractive (at least I think so). My view is that Jeremy has fallen hard, hard, hard for Alexandra and anything that has happened between them (Running the bases or whatever. Jeremy would be grateful for anything that Alexandra did with him. I agree with you that what it is should not be mentioned specifically.) will just endear her to him more. I knew several guys in high school who fell hard for girls who just wanted to have fun, and it scared them off. Other girls liked that intense attention. It is up to you how you want to play Alexandra against it. There are several different ways it could go. Jeremy, like most teenaged boys, is not very bright WRT relationships, so he is going to be slow in picking up on any distancing Alexandra is doing. Do what you will with this, and I will have Jeremy react. I am looking forward to it.

9:49 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I didn't think boys/men fell in love ... ever. I thought they only fell in lust. This is news to me of the glaring kind.

If boys didn't fall in love, they would never get married. Any man who has seriously considered marriage (and by seriously, I mean thought about all the responsibilities and the stories about how women change when they get married) and then does get married anyway has to be in love. Otherwise they would never do it or they would never keep on doing it once they found out what marriage is really like.

Jeremy is too young and naive to have seriously considered marriage, so his thought of proposing to Alexandra is rash. But he is definitely in love and not just lust. The obstacles he has faced with Alexandra's family would turn away most teenaged boys. He does lust after Alexandra too, but he has fallen hard in love with her. Really, that is thanks in part to the way you have portrayed Alexandra.

12:48 PM  
Blogger eula_w said...

I may think that your mother is using a pheromone.:) Visit my site and see how do pheromones work.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home