Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Getting Ready For Yet Another Vacation

We are traveling to visit my wife’s relatives in Texas this time. Her mom has been undergoing chemotherapy and called one day this week to ask us to vary our time of arrival depending on how she was feeling. Then she called today and said she was feeling better. So, I am not sure if we are leaving Wednesday or Thursday. When it happens we will be gone for at a least a week with a yet-to-be determined return date. Sometime before New Years Eve, is all I know for certain.

I think qnjones has some parties scheduled for Becky and Jeremy later on in the week, and I am afraid she will have to post those on her own. It is Mary Worth and Zits, so the tricky part will be to cover areas that we did not cover before on those strips.

I don’t really have any plans for Constable Paul Wright, Jeremy Jones, or Howard to do go anywhere to explain their absence from posting. As always, my fellow April’s Real Blog posters are hereby allowed to do with them whatever they want, including post as them, if they so desire. Just don’t kill them off.

Tomorrow’s strip shows that things are really starting to pop in the Foobiverse again (and I don’t mean zits) with Lynn finally addressing hanging plotlines with Warren and Paul. I hate to go running off when things start happening with one of my characters. It doesn’t happen too often since I have pretty obscure ones, and I don’t like to miss out. I am disappointed that the Paul / Liz romance is not going the way I hoped. Liz’s willingness to screw over her possible future with Paul in favor of her helicopter ride with the more glamourous and gone for the last 1 ½ years Warren pretty much tells me that Paul is toast.

When I was in university, I met this girl in the college choir, and asked her out. She accepted and as we were on the date, she explained to me that she had a boyfriend. I hate when that happens, and I cannot tell how many times it has happened to me that on a first date the girl tells me about her boyfriend. During the brief moments in my life when I had a girlfriend, I would never have even agreed to go out with another woman. Nevertheless, that it what she told me. Now the odd part was that while we were on the date, she gave me certain subtle encouragements that told me that she was interested in my pursuing her, even though she had this boyfriend. He was studying at some university in Russia for the semester and she hinted that she thought he was also interested in some other girl he knew from his hometown. For reasons I do not fully comprehend (I was stupid beyond belief), I continued dating this woman, hoping that one day she would tell me I was her boyfriend. That day did not occur. In fact, quite the opposite. When I pressed her on the point, she told me that she would choose him over me and then we stopped dating. Now, here is the funny part. It turned out that this guy was never actually her boyfriend. He was just a guy that this girl liked and so she told people that he was her boyfriend. Since he was in Russia there was no way he could deny her story. The next semester, she came up to me and told me how her boyfriend came back from Russia and told her that his real girlfriend was this girl he had been dating from his hometown. Then after telling me this story, this girl wanted me to ask her out, and she got really angry when I didn’t. It gets better. She started staging make out sessions with guys, where she knew I would see her kissing on the other guy as I was passing between classes, as some sort of bizarre revenge. This is made even more bizarre by the fact that when I was dating her, she refused to kiss me, out of loyalty to her nonexistent boyfriend. The definition of loser: When the woman you are dating throws you over for an imaginary boyfriend.

This is the story I thought about when I read tomorrow’s strip. Liz tells the good constable, “I keep in touch with my ex-boyfriend Warren, but it means nothing. I haven’t seen him since I graduated university.” The good constable is going to feel like a loser, when he finds out Liz has been carrying a torch for Warren all this time.

4 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

Yeesh! Your best friend Sarah's story is way worse than mine. I'm glad she is not with that guy.

I will agree with you about Liz. The idea of Liz as Helen of Troy is ripe for snarking.

2:42 AM  
Blogger howard said...

adrianne,

I hope more loved than hated.

schmoosie,

You are right that Liz has not lied to Paul. At this point, Liz is only considering her options. However, the fact that she is considering her options tells us a lot about where she is with Paul and the fact that she still has feelings for Warren. My congratulations are actually to Lynn for even addressing it.

It is tricky to post, when you don't know where the plot is going. So my Paul posts are going to play it safe and use the material that has been presented and riff off that. I am enjoying showing off Paul as being vulnerable when it comes to his feelings for Liz. If Liz goes for him, then he feels justified in his faith in her. If Liz dumps him, then he can feel all the pains of rejection. I think I am covered in either direction.

However, it is a great opportunity for you as Liz to write some of your great Liz stuff where you can show the internal workings of Liz's mind as she wrestles through the problem and how much she does or does not tell each person (Paul, Warren, Viv and Gary). I hope you will take advantage of it, purely for selfish reasons, since I love your Liz posts and have missed them.

10:17 AM  
Blogger howard said...

schmoosie & qnjones,

I think you both touch on the issue at hand with Liz. I think that Liz is not only closed off from other people, but she is also closed off from herself. She honestly does not know who, if anyone, she wants.

She has a guy in Vancouver interested enough to travel all the way across Ontario to pick her up. She has a guy in Otter County interested enough to travel all the way to Mtigwaki to meet her. She has a guy, who is married and with a child, who is interested in divorcing his wife to be with her. Liz's confusion is easy to understand. Why are these guys so interested in me, when I do not approach them or show any interest in them? We are confused too, because there is nothing we have been shown about Liz that would cause these sort of reactions.

I knew a woman once who was extremely attractive, and she got those kind of reactions from men. Guys would propose to her after having been on a few dates, even though she treated them like dirt. She dressed to impress all the time, and was very flirtatious. If Liz was like this, it would make more sense to me.

2:11 PM  
Blogger howard said...

So, what it boils down to is that Liz attracts freaks. Maybe she should take a tip from you and give up dating. Of course, if they are willing to travel all that distance to where she is, it may not make any difference if she gives up dating or not.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home