Monday, October 03, 2005

Sex, Pastries, and Tapeworms

aprilp_katje posting as Marjee Mahaha put Elly in the Krystle’s Kakes and Pies with an exceptionally tight bun (a running joke from when Howard had fooled Elly into thinking his short hair was actually a very tight bun), which meant that I had to put Howard also there to meet her. In Monday’s For Better or For Worse strip, Elly has awoken in her an intense and passionate feeling for shopping. I was trying to write something to go along with this, and the thought occurred to me that I could have Elly “go after” Howard. I was unsure how that one would play out, since Elly is usually portrayed as completely uninterested in sex.

I also wanted to take advantage of a suggestion that schmoosie had posted as Liz, which was that Elly had a tapeworm, and this explained her extraordinary eating. This was a concern, since I had posted things like her consuming twice her weight in sugar and flour, which is more than a little excessive. So somehow I had to get Elly into Dr. McCauley’s office to find the worm and then to get Howard also there to observe the tapeworm. I then thought of the Mtigwaki t-shirt worn by Jesse Mukwa in Sunday’s strip, and decided to put everything together for worm decoration.

It made sense to me for John Patterson to want to assault Howard for being “gone after” by Elly, but that also proved to be the means to get Howard into Dr. McCauley’s office, since John and Ted McCauley share the same office building. The John dialogue when Howard is in the dentist chair is lifted liberally from his October letter. After having established the tapeworm, it still left the unresolved passion between Howard and Elly. So, I set up a meeting with Elly at Iris’ place. Elly’s dialogue to Howard about him attacking her instead of the actual reverse, was taken from Elly’s comments in the September letter WRT Howard attacking Liz.

While Howard was at Iris’ I decided to do some Iris snark. Her October monthly letter had a recipe for Nanaimo bars. There are actually quite a few recipes for this on-line and I compared them to Iris’ recipe. They matched pretty closely, except Iris’ version had less sugar in it. On a few websites for Nanaimo bars, they mention controversy between the States and Canada over the origin of the pastry. Apparently it is also known as New York Slice. This was obscure stuff to snark, but I managed to work in an argument between Iris and Elly about it. Then the thought occurred to me, what would happen if Iris overhead Elly talking about kissing Howard. That led to the shopping trip for April. Whew! A busy day!

As for tomorrow, so far I have been unable to find a medical condition that involves blood coming from your eyes and mouth. This person in the strip is pictured in the galleries on the For Better or For Worse website, so Lynn may be actually quoting from a real person. I really have no idea what to do with this. We may be back in the monthly letters again for tomorrow’s snark.

2 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

schmoosie,
I used your suggestions. Thanks.

10:38 AM  
Blogger howard said...

schmoosie. I posted to you on the love thread on the Meta. I was very impressed with what you did with it. You took my idea and really ran with it and made it yours. Howard is definitely going to be setting you up with more stuff.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home