Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Howard in Jail, Me on Vacation

I am going to put Howard in jail, while I go to my high school reunion this weekend. The method will be to have Rhetta Blum remove herself as his surety. Howard is placed back into custody until Gerald’s dad agrees to be his surety. Fellow April’s Real Blog posters, you can do anything you want with Howard while I am absent, including completely ignore him. Just don’t kill him off. No matter what you do, I won’t be offended, even if he ends up with his privates trapped in a portable massage table.

I was pretty busy today, so I did not get a lot of posts in. At the end of my day though, qnjones posted in the Metablog that she was expecting more of a fight with aprilp_katje over Becky’s attitude about the robert freeman party. Robert Freeman is the grandfather from the bitingly, satirical Boondocks strip, which has been animated to have a release on October 2 on the Adult Swim part of Cartoon Network (plug). I am looking forward to seeing it, but I am strange that way. Howard turned this into a reality TV show kind of thing, with an opportunity for Becky to get exposure and then used that to hopefully give qnjones the fight she was hoping for.

Writing the fight sequence between Becky and Howard was quite interesting. It gave me a feel for why so many professional writers are a little crazy. In order to do a proper dialogue, you have to get yourself into the emotional head of the character. I found myself getting worked up during the course of writing it, particularly during the part where Howard expressed an emotion for Becky quite a bit stronger than his usual, “you’re my bud.” Of course the other trick to April’s Real Blog is that in order for this stuff to work, you also have to throw in a few funny lines with all the trauma. It was fun to do. I had a similar, but less emotional experience, when I posted the exploding Dixie story with aprilp_katje. Both qnjones and aprilp_katje are phenomenally fast with their writing. I could just imagine them saying, “I posted my response 5 minutes ago. Why hasn’t he responded back?”

If you are a person who reads Howard Kelpfroth’s Blog, but not the comments posted to it, schmoosie who posts for Liz on April’s Real Blog, has said she wouldn’t mind being my posting buddy when I pick up posting for Constable Paul Wright. It will be a love story, so it will be really different from the Howard stuff. Schmoosie is really good at the emotional stuff, so it will be a challenge to keep up with her. Plus, I am really curious how Lynn Johnston is going to have them meet, without him appearing to be a stalker.

3 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

No. My high school is in North Carolina. Oddly coincidental they are the same weekend though.

5:51 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Mine was over Thanksgiving last year. One of my classmates looked around and said, "This is like an aging yearbook!" ;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets into the mode of obsessively checking for comments. And then sometimes I get dejected when no one has commented for a while--then April and I think "nobody loves me anymore." I might need some of those therapy coupons April keeps mentioning!

Sometimes I have to remind myself to write like a 38-year-old with a Ph.D. instead of like a 14-year-old. :)

6:19 AM  
Blogger howard said...

You are right about homecoming weekend. The first activity of the reunion is to attend the high school football homecoming. I am feeling uneducated next to you two. I only have a Bachelors. Fortunately, I have decided that Howard is obsessive about proper grammar and punctuation.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home