Monday, September 26, 2005

Back From the Reunion

The high school reunion was interesting. My father had told me that when you get to the later reunions, you get past all that high school stuff and end up with a group that just likes to get together every 5 years for a party. This year was definitely that way for me. It was a good time, but I was glad to get back to the wonderful world of April’s Real Blog and see what happened to Howard Kelpfroth, after giving permission for him to be brutalized by the April’s Real Bloggers. It turned out nothing in particular.

I got Howard out of jail with the Richards being his new surety. I considered the possibilities of the Richards, Gerald’s dad, Rhetta Blum (after reconsidering not being the surety), or Howard’s aunt Winnie and uncle Melville. I decided to go with the Richards, since this gives them an opportunity to lord over Howard for home cleaning and it keeps him in touch with the life of April. Plus, I enjoy running Howard through a series of degradations for some reason I can't quite fathom.

The Grandpa Jim snark today involved his philosophical ramblings. I went back through the last 3 years of strips, and found that Grandpa Jim did not really started getting into this heavy philosophical mode until about 2 years ago. Each of Jim’s statements is a somewhat exact quote from the strip, except the name “Elly” changed for “Coward” and a few expository statements to link them together. It was fun to write, but a little less fun to read. Grandpa Jim is boring.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

"Grandpa Jim is boring."

Yup, that's why I skipped over his monthly letters for such a long time. I started to read them because of ARB, but I'm almost always sorry I did. ;)

6:58 AM  
Blogger howard said...

qnjones,

Your 10th sounds like my 10th was, which was my high school class' first reunion year. It was still very much like high school, with the same people talking to each other who did in high school. My 2 best friends in high school have never been to any of the class reunions, and I have grown accustomed to the idea that they never will. By the time I got to the 25th (this latest one), I look forward to seeing the people that I know go to every reunion, even though a lot of them I didn't like that much in high school. Something about being settled in a marriage or a career has turned the people who used to be jerks into pretty nice folks. However, our group stayed up late. At the dinner / dance, they kept passing the hat to buy another hour from the DJ. It finally stopped at 3 am.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home