Sunday, October 01, 2006

Yes, America. Michael is a Bad Father

Today on For Better or For Worse, we have an odd sequence where Merrie gets her fingers slammed and Mike pauses to wait until she cries before he gives her a hug. I googled around trying to find a description on how to treat slammed fingers and the basic answer was to call the doctor and describe the wound to see if they recommended going to hospital or not. That was the route I went with on the Mike snark. My own nature with my children’s injuries is to treat first and hug later, although my wife is more on the hug first and treat later side of the house.

qnjones’ extremely fine “Mike from Liz’s perspective” gives me the impression that qnjones should take over writing Mike’s character. I rarely ever seem to include the literary aspect to Mike’s stuff he puts in his monthly letter, and she captures his alliterative nature quite nicely.

Tomorrow’s strip: I am quite excited the Battle of the Bands or Gym Jam, is finally going to occur, after it was dropped 2 times in the monthly letter writing. It may mean a reappearance of Jeremy Jones in the strip, and I hope a redefinition of his relationship with Becky McGuire. April’s monthly letter made it sound like Becky was very professional now, and she did not mention Jeremy Jones, so it is possible he was fired, or he has risen to a new level in her organization.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Gerald and April break up, Becky and I will be thrilled! If Gerald were any other girl's boyfriend, she would have stolen him long ago.

Thank you for the compliments about my Liz post on her conversation with Mike, but my efforts on one paltry post do not come close to outweighing the great stuff you dream up for Mike. Also, I could never do that sort of thing on a regular basis. That post took me an hour and a half to write, with a thesaurus and a dictionary.

:) QN

1:21 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

I loved the Liz, post, too, QN!

Today's strip leaves me thinking that an April-Gerald breakup could be imminent. However, it also makes him seem fairly Becky-hostile, which is sort of odd considering how impressed he was a year ago with her radio commercial.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read him as wanting to be competitive, which to me is not the same as hostile. In fact, it could be a means of recommending himself to her--"see, I'm cube enough to date you."

6:40 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I didn't see competitive on Gerald's part, but more him trying to appeal to April's considerable Becky-hate to get her to attend rehearsal. After all, no one has criticized Becky more than April.

6:47 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

After all, no one has criticized Becky more than April.

Though Eva might soon qualify for that title. And/or Duncan. :)

3:26 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Though Eva might soon qualify for that title. And/or Duncan.
True. It makes me wonder if this is the reason why strip April is being more Becky-tolerant, since she can contrast herself vs. Eva and Duncan.

4:51 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

And she can be a gracious Patterson in contrast to their surly-teen inflexibility. ;)

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home