Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Grandpa Jim Has a Stroke Part II

Today’s For Better or For Worse was trying pretty hard to portray Elly as competent and Iris as emotional and helpless. But there were cracks showing in the presentation, as Elly showed that Lynn has obviously never called 911 before, and Iris showed that Lynn doesn’t seem to know about the services of assisted living to help deal with these kinds of things. We’ve seen on the website that Lynn sits on her chesterfield and writes these things up, and obviously writes them up without researching them.

I experience certain aspects of this too in my own writing. For example, I like to include the Ojibway words in the Constable Paul Wright writing, but I have not bothered to learn proper verb form in Ojibway, so I know I get some things wrong, but I am too lazy to take the time to learn it. I don’t expect anyone to catch these things, unless they are familiar with Ojibway. The problem with Lynn doing the same thing, is that it is so easy to research things with the internet, to write a story about a character having a stroke and not taking the time to find out what the symptoms are, smacks of the “I can’t be bothered” style of writing.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Aw, but Howard, the Chesterfield is comfy and doing research would require getting up. And Lynn is a-scared of computers. ;)

3:08 PM  
Blogger howard said...

A-skeered is the spelling I know from the South.

I am still a little surprised Lynn would try to rely on whatever heresay she has received about strokes. I would expect a good portion of her fan base knows quite a bit about strokes, and she is in danger of losing credibility with them, much moreso than getting Ojibway culture wrong, which she at least made an attempt to research.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home