Saturday, September 30, 2006

October Monthly Letters

The October Monthly Letters were an odd bag this time, because it seemed like the main point was that the Pattersons were pulling together to help each other in their time of need, but they had been such self-centered and unconnected characters for so long, they really do not have the first idea how to do it. So, you get these odd things like Liz contributing to the cause by writing or taking a bubble bath and Mike and John doing all these bathroom renovations for Iris and Jim, which should be a big no-no considering they live in an apartment, and so on.

To evaluate the letters with respect to my characters:

Liz's Letter, October 2006

What I need to do is pull my head out of my rear end and stop feeling sorry for myself. Yes, I'm living at home again. Yes, my mother is menopausal and my sister is pubescent and the hormonal effects are a little startling. Yes, I've been subpoenaed to testify in a sexual assault trial as a complainant. Yes, it seems that my former boyfriend from high school may possibly be carrying a torch. Yes, my current love is several hours away and I don't get to spend nearly enough time with him. Yes, my cat is currently irritable and avoiding me because of all the noise and chaos in the house. All this seems relatively manageable if it weren't for the fact that my grandfather is in the hospital.

I have a lot of good things going on in my life. I need to bear in mind that April and I are getting closer, I have a fair amount of independence, I have a full-time job (that I love), I have a car, my finances are under control, I'm surrounded by people who care about me, I have pets in abundance, I don't have to cook for myself at this point, Paul and I love each other, Howard's being brought to justice (hopefully!), and things seem far better if I keep them in perspective.

Howard Bunt: Nothing really new here. Liz talks about the subpoena and she lists as a good thing that Howard is being brought to justice, but expresses some uncertainty. It makes me wonder if Howard is actually going to do jail time, or such a short period of time, that Lynn will make some point about the injustice of the justice system. I am not sure. Lynn has usually portrayed the police with excellent terms.

Constable Paul Wright: She says they love each other and she recognizes that Anthony is carrying a torch. The interesting phrase, that qnjones picked up on was “my current love.” It is oddly phrased and of course, just adds fuel to the fire about the anti-Paul bias of the strip and the letters. Other than that, there is no real information except to remind us that they are separated in space. Surprisingly, there is not description of their visit with each other last Sunday, which I guess means there really is a Sundayverse.

Jeremy Jones: Not mentioned at all, and it is really strange he doesn’t get a mention this time, because April goes into long details about the makeup of Becky’s band. I get the impression that Becky has reached a level where Jeremy’s services are no longer considered to be professional enough. Indirectly, Jeremy is affected by the Eva and Duncan love connection. This monthly letter is worded pretty clearly that Eva and Duncan are together. susannamoodie as Zandra Larson and the_berserker as Duncan can maintain their love storyline if they want, but as far as I am concerned, Jeremy and Eva are dunzo.

Tomorrow’s strip: Elly Patterson has a heart of stone. Let Iris grieve, you heartless old biddy.

4 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Your analysis about the Pattersons not knowing how to look beyond their usual self-centeredness is spot on. And I really did not like Elly in today's strip!

The Duncan-Eva thing seemed like the Lynnions really pressing the issue with us, eh? I'm going to start a thread about this at the Meta in a bit.

4:13 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

BTW, I just read tomorrow's Sundayverse strip, and it's the kind designed to make us think Mike is a compassionate and involved father. And Robin has a button nose. I'm thinking this strip is right up your alley and would be perfect for a Michael late-night dispatch, so I will probably hold off on doing my drafting in advance--unless you won't be able to do one!

11:50 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I would be glad to draft a Michael in advance. Anything for my continuity goddess.

12:18 PM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

::blush::

I think you'll have fun with this one. :)

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home