Monday, August 07, 2006

Deanna Discipline

Today we got to see Deanna in the grocery store disciplining her children. If you were in my house, you would have seen me disciplining the home computer, which seemed determined not to let us have internet access. I finally got on, and I was quite excited to see how active qnjones and aprilp_katje were in telling their stories all day. I am quite happy that qnjones decided to ditch the Valhalla. My storylines for that place had pretty much gone as far as I could take them, considering the repetition of doing the same performance over and over again. In real life, I have had few times in my life when I have performed a show or a concert enough times where I didn’t want to do it again. The nature of being a performer is that the work itself is energizing, particularly if you have the privilege of doing well-written work that gets you emotionally and physically involved. But when it comes to snarking a comic strip via a performance device, repetition is not necessarily a good thing. As for the Liz visit to Constable Paul Wright's parents, the home computer really robbed me today, because I was looking forward to doing interactive telling of that story with qnjones.

Tomorrow’s strip: Much to my surprise, I think we are getting ready to pursue the John retirement house story. I guess this is the reason why, after several monthly letters where the writer could not keep straight whether or not John’s dream retirement house was owned by a couple or a man, the last monthly letter from John not only retconned so that either a man or couple would work (the wife died), but also gave the man the name of George Stibbs. I think we are getting ready to meet old George “Dead Before September, 2007” Stibbs this week. I cannot tell you how uninterested I am in this storyline.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Ugh, God help us, it's the teeny-tiny choo-choo house arc! I was surprised that this seemed to be the first time John was broaching the topic with Elly. He's been obsessing about the stupid house for how long?

3:24 PM  
Blogger howard said...

John's Letter, June 2005 is the first one where he mentions he is looking for a house with a bigger yard.

John's Letter, September 2005 is the first one where he mentions he has found a specific house he likes.

He mentions it again in the April, June, July and August, 2006 monthly letters.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 is where John shows the house to April.

In order for John not to have broached the subject with Elly, it would mean that, once again, the characters don't read each other monthly letters.

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home