Friday, April 21, 2006

Coffee Break Part I

Today’s strip introduced Anthony back into the story for the first time since he asked Elizabeth to wait for him, way back in August. Elizabeth never said if she would wait for him in the strip or in the letters, and certainly if she said, “Yes” it would have an interesting resonance with her relationship with Constable Paul Wright. I know the monthly letters have gone on and on about how miserable Anthony is with Thérèse, but from the graphic novel strip perspective, you would have to draw the conclusion, things are going well for Anthony. He seems positively perky talking to John. In fact, if I were just judging from the strip, I would say, “Elizabeth said she would wait.”

My characters snarked on the most obvious thing to snark, which was all the different kinds of coffee, in particular the ones made up for humourous effect. Then I snarked Dirne Aufkleber doing the part of the porter from MacBeth. And then gave Howard / Marjee and Jeremy / Dirne something to do on a date that evening. I have been waiting for major concert to come through Toronto for Jeremy to take and show off Dirne, but as near as I can tell; Toronto must have been expecting the Leafs to make the playoffs, because the concert offerings are bleak. I latched onto practically the only one I could find playing in a minor Toronto venue. Then for Marjee and Howard, I looked for recently released films that involved gays, and finding none, opted for a chick flick instead to satisfy Marjee.

At the end of the day, aprilp_katje threw me a Howard / Marjee / April / Gerald double-date and I did a little bit with it. Usually Howard’s social events end in chaos, but I just wasn’t in the mood to write one like that.

Then the mysterious anonymous poster popped in and started taking Constable Paul Wright to task and calling him creepy for reading April’s Real Blog. My thought would have been it was very subtle writing by eeknight beginning a comeback as Anthony Caine, however, the same person appears to have been posting anonymously to the Foobiverse’s Journal with nearly the same kind of comments. eeknight does not post anonymously over there, so my guess is it is someone new. Anonymous poster, if you are reading this, you could actually adopt one of the available characters listed in April’s Meta Blog and write as that character or make up your own character.

Tomorrow’s strip: More perkiness from Anthony as we cover ground showing where he is in the business. I think this is all setup for the intense Elizabeth-related discussion which will occur next week. It could make things interesting for Constable Paul Wright who should get a mention from John, particularly to see how John views the good constable.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Following up on what you wrote in yesterday's comments, I agree that the dreaded Anthony could usher in some interesting storylines and possibly increase participation both at ARB and Foobiverse. I had the same reaction as you WRT the anonymous poster--I would be great if this person chose or created a character and started posting. :)

4:36 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Yes. I was trying to do a conversation with the anonymous poster, when his or her dialogue went a little too Meta for me. There is no one in the Foobiverse who would have that much inside knowledge about Constable Paul Wright or April's Real Blog outside of Liz or April. Plus the poster would not let the "Paul, you're creepy" theme go, no matter how I tried to word a response. If the poster assumed a character, with the limits on what they could or could not know by virtue of being the character, then it would work a lot better.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home