Sunday, February 26, 2006

Guilt

I did church today, practiced a song harmony I wrote out for a piece the Mrs. and I are doing for Ash Wednesday. We had a free lunch, compliments of my work and then we saw the movie Eight Below, which has some pretty fair dog acting in it. There is a large section of the movie that is devoted to just the dogs on their own, and it is the best part of the picture.

After the movie, it was doing the Girl Scout cookie delivery rounds with my girl and finally delivering those last few boxes to people in our neighbourhood who never seem to be home, except on the day when they placed the order. After that, I was preparing to write some stuff into April's Real Blog, when my boy laid on the guilt trip, "You are on the computer and not having any quality family time." That sounds strange coming out of a 10-year-old's mouth, but my boy has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and that's how he talks. The rest of the day was with my boy, until he went to bed.

By then, it was too late to get any kind of posting back and forth with aprilp_katje, who normally hits the hay sometime around 10 pm Eastern. So, I decided the bunny would go through a 12-step program. I looked up the 12 steps. This is thankfully, an area in which I have never had to deal. I was surprised at how religious the steps were. I decided to do an adaptation for them for electrified bunnies. It was not very funny, but after the Thorvald / Thora wedding, I really had snarked electrified rodents as much as I cared to. I had spent 2 weeks building up to the idea that their wedding could be overrun by electrified bunnies. It was difficult to do anything more with the subject, which is a lot funnier if the bunnies do not suffer from the electricity, but instead carry the charge to zap others. I guess I find mild electrical shocks to humans funnier than to bunnies. Also, bunnies are so passive, I found the idea of an aggressive zapping bunny funny also. I wish Lynn Johnston felt the same way I do.

The humour in the strip was in the vein of those funniest home videos things, where it is considered amusing to watch someone or something get hurt. In the Foobiverse's Journal, I was surprised by the number of people who said their rabbits did the same thing. When I was growing up, we had 2 rabbits and they never, ever chewed on electrical cords. Given the most recent Pets Letter monthlies in the For Better or For Worse website, I thought the story was finished, but you should never underestimate the lead time on the Sunday colour strips I guess.

Tomorrow's strip: Gary Crane shows he has been teaching with Liz way too long. Hey Gary! You need to spend some time with people who don't use puns for humour.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

The humour in the strip was in the vein of those funniest home videos things, where it is considered amusing to watch someone or something get hurt.

Exactly! That's so not my taste, either. :(

Hey Gary! You need to spend some time with people who don't use puns for humour.

True--and he shouldn't buy his jackets from the "Matching Liz" outpost in Spruce Narrow. ;)

4:03 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I agree with you about the jacket. When Paul first met Liz, Gary was in the same strip. One of the reasons I was able to distinguish the two men was the fact they have different jackets.
First meet strip

11:08 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

One of the reasons I was able to distinguish the two men was the fact they have different jackets.

Same here. :)

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home