Monday, February 20, 2006

Paul Appears in 2006

Today was another difficult day on April’s Real Blog. I decided it was time to do a little Carleen Stein snark. I went through the monthly letters for Mike and Dee for references to Carleen. I also double-checked to make sure Carleen did not have any direct contact with April in the October 31 edition of April’s Real Blog, the practical joke on Weed, which caught me before with Sophia. Carleen posted twice that day, but did not meet April.

The interesting thing I noticed about Carleen was that it was specifically mentioned that Josef Weeder was not doing much fashion photography anymore. Considering Josef’s weakness for fashion models, I thought the introduction of Carleen as his girlfriend and business manager instead of just being his assistant was directly related to this move. It is a subtle thing, but I cannot imagine Weed giving up fashion photography willingly. There was also a mention of Weed’s parents visiting his studio, which would have been a major accomplishment in the life of Weed (downplayed by Mike in his letter). This also occurred post Carleen. In the strip, Carleen has also shown a little feistiness when Weed was considering the Mike scheme to buy their apartments. In that case though, Carleen pulled Deanna in on the act instead of confronting them herself. This tells me that Carleen recognizes that Mike has an influence over Weed, which she cannot countermand by herself. She needed Deanna’s help. Carleen has taken the place of Maxine Hébert in the strip as Deanna’s best friend. Maxine has not been in the strip for years and was not mentioned once in any of Deanna or Mike’s monthly letters in the For Better or For Worse archive. In Deanna’s most recent monthly letter she talked about doing yoga with Carleen. This marked the first time Carleen had done anything with Mike or Dee, without Weed being involved. So, I thought it was time to snark her.

Tomorrow’s strip: The event we have been waiting for—the story of Liz and Paul’s romance. I had placed Paul as not being in Mtigwaki today, but that was clearly an error, since he sneaks in with tomorrow’s strip. I say sneak, but hops in might be a better term. So, I quickly did a retcon post to get him there. Hopefully aprilp_katje will read it before she launches into her own retcon for her Blog entry.

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Yep, I make a point of catching up on the previous night's posts before I do the daily entry. :)

7:04 AM  
Blogger howard said...

aprilp_katje,

But of course. How could I ever doubt the continuity goddess?

8:16 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

:)

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home