Monday, February 13, 2006

Beginnings and Endings

There were lots of good storylines that got started today:
1. Marjee and Howard are set to begin dating random people.
2. Becky throws a tantrum
3. Liz gets possessed by Shiimsa.
4. Vicki Simone’s mom’s writing class in which Elly will participate
5. Duncan’s suggested VD poems to Kimmi

I need to mention a few in particular.

Jeremy’s dad’s concert.

Jeremy has given comp tickets to the A-girls, the Z-girls and has backstage passes for the regular ARB posting gang. My problem is that the Mrs. and I have Valentine’s Day plans and I will not be able to do much with the concert until pretty late tomorrow. However, this is a general sketch of what is to happen, for anyone who cares to know.

Jeremy’s dad plays with a country-western band. It is not big time, but it is big enough to have a recording contract and to be well-known in the Milborough and possibly Toronto area and for the members of the band to consider the band to be their livelihood and not a hobby. Think of the music as a little bit older style country than the modern stuff, which is so much like pop music now, it is hard to distinguish it. We have done snarks on songs that Jeremy’s dad has recorded in the past, where the titles are basically country-western-type song titles dealing with not wanted to be married and saddled with a kid.

At the concert, the ARB gang can meet the A-girls, of which Eva is a part and the Z-girls which want April to be a part. After the concert, the ARB gang is taken backstage by Jeremy to meet his father, who is racist, sexist and does not have a high opinion of Jeremy or his audio board skills. I hope it is played for laughs (like Archie Bunker of the TV show All in the Family) and not pathos.

Afterwards, Jeremy and Becky split from the ARB gang. Jeremy gives Becky jewelry, roses, chocolates takes her on a horse-drawn sleigh ride. I wish I were Jeremy's girlfriend.

The conclusion of the yearbook storyline.

This was an interesting story, and I honestly did not know where it was going to go. Cameron Mitchell as an undercover agent was a surprise. My congratulations to aprilp_katje and adrianne_p for coming up with the story.

Spoiler: Very touchy subject in the next 2 paragraphs dealing with Adrianne. If that subject upsets you, then don’t read them. You have been warned.

It has been over 2 weeks since Adrianne last posted, so it seems likely she is not coming back, even though she posts regularly over at the Foobiverse’s Journal. She had posted in her own Live Journal that she doesn’t usually have friends for longer than 4 months, and it was interesting to see why that is the case, as I saw her go through the paces of separating herself from April’s Real Blog over the course of January. I remember when she had her main character of Alexandra Love break things off with my character of Jeremy Jones. The primary reason listed was simply, it had been 4 months since Jeremy and Alexandra had been dating, therefore it was time for them to break up. In retrospect, it was an interesting parallel to what Adrianne had posted about herself and what she was about to do. However, at the time, I thought it was a huge mistake, because we had spent a lot of time getting the characters from their initial awkwardness to operating as a couple, which really nobody else in April’s Real Blog was doing, including characters of April and Gerald who have been a couple in the strip for 5 years now. When I was in high school, there were lots of kids that operated as a couple, so I thought it was nice to include that element of high school in ARB. I thought it was a mistake for Jeremy and Alexandra, but I got some good mileage out of the breakup. As I expected, it ultimately meant Jeremy and Alexandra would stop talking to each other, and left Adrianne without anyone willing to carry stories with her that catered to her interests (RPI hockey, Milton Icehawks, TV shows Lost, Stargate SG-1).

However, I recognize now that it was a part of that process of separating for Adrianne. Adrianne started using her Alex&Eva Blog where she carried out the day-to-day activities of her characters as a further separation from April's Real Blog. Then she started writing posts in April’s Meta Blog that seemed to be intended to pick fights with the other Blog posters. Then, she had her made up character of Alexandra Love have a fight with the strip character of Eva, so they would no longer be friends. The last bit was picking a fight with her closest friend on April’s Real Blog, aprilp_katje. That was not pleasant to read. aprilp_katje had taken the trouble to get together with Adrianne in real life on more than one occasion, and I took genuine pleasure in reading about their interactions (even though I feigned jealousy). However, it appeared to me that this fight was the conclusion of the process of leaving friends after 4 months. I don’t know if aprilp_katje and Adrianne have reconciled in real life, to mess up my conclusion about the 4 months and it really is not any of my business. I hope they have, though.

Tomorrow’s strip: April. You go girl! Way to zing it to John again. This strip has started snarking itself, and I love it. Lynn Johnston must be in a coma or something.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I'll probably be around this evening, even though I have a Valentine, so I should be able to post. :)

Adrianne and I are still friends, but it does appear her ARB/AMB days are passed. I miss her posts, too.

Cameron Mitchell as an under-cover agent was a spur-of-the-moment idea for me as I was thinking of how to wrap up the story quickly. I'm glad you liked that element.

7:44 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Laura,

Thanks for your share of romance.

aprilp_katje,

Adrianne and I are still friends

I am glad to read that.

I know how it is celebrating Valentine's Day when you have a young one in the house. It is a lot easier to stay in.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home