Sunday, September 11, 2005

Howard meets Rhetta's Parents

Well now Howard has almost been tricked into getting married by 2 Milborough women in April’s Real Blog. First it was Kortney in Las Vegas and now it is Rhetta in Milborough. Howard gets to meet Rhetta’s parents, and I got to run through a sequence where Rhetta’s dad’s main objection to Howard was his love of opera after a list of things that would normally be quite objectionable to most parents. This probably won’t be the last time a Milborough woman tries to trick Howard into marriage, but I will probably wait awhile before I do it again.

This whole sequence with Howard is based on an idea presented in the For Better or For Worse strip. That is the painfully obvious impending marriage of Anthony and Liz in the next 2 years. Liz appears to be an attractive, likeable, young lady, who in normal society would have more than a few suitors, who are single, unattached and faithful to her. She should not have to rely on a married guy like Anthony to be her knight in shining armour. But because she does rely on Anthony, and all other suitors have been shown to be lacking in some way or other (Eric cheats, Warren never visits), then it opens up the question why this is. I suspect Lynn’s reason is that she has been plotting for them to be together for several years and is using Anthony’s marriage as drama. I think she has watched “The Best Years of Our Lives” movie a few too many times, which has a very similar plotline. Howard, however, snarks out a different reason to hopefully humorous effect.

Next: Working the Palace

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Definitely humorous effect. :)

5:27 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I know quite a few straight guys who dumped their very pretty girlfriends because they did not respect their intelligence or the woman was unpleasant to be around. Those characteristics quickly outweigh "pretty" and "puts out" in a long term relationship. My personal philosophy from the male perspective is that the single most attractive thing about a woman is that she is attracted to you (assuming the male can actually realize that is happening).

4:21 PM  
Blogger howard said...

Having never had the monetary fire power that you experienced in your law firm to attract a beautiful girl with big boobs, I do not know how I would even react if one were to express an interest in me. What few that I have known would rarely deign to speak to me even in a non-social working environment. The people with whom I associate have had similar experiences, and so their viewpoint is very different from those of your law firm associates.


I remember being cast as the male lead in the musical Carousel, where the lady who played the female lead found my appearance so detestable she could not disguise her distaste for me during the kissing scenes. It was one of those unusual situations that not only was bad artistically, but humiliating personally. I still remember the director yelling at the woman that she was supposed to be in love with me. That was kind of funny, even then.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home