Friday, September 09, 2005

Working at the Milborough Seniors' Living Palace

Jim and Iris Richards have been deserving of some snark for awhile. I went through the For Better or For Worse on-line archive of the last 3 years of strips, and checked out all the material with Grandpa Jim and Iris. There was not very much there. One thing I found interesting was that I did not see any strips covering the last 3 years, where Grandpa Jim did anything with Mike or Elizabeth. The grandchild sequences seemed to be exclusively with April. April is really the favored child as far as the men-folk of the Patterson family go.

In the monthly letters section, Jim mentions taking food to Mike and Dee after they had baby Robin, and mentions family gettogethers over the holidays. There were quite a few stories in the monthly letters that were not ever represented or referred to in the strips. Jim and Iris are the 2 busiest retired people I know. Every letter was a litany of all these activities they do and it changed seasonally. As far as snarking goes though, I am loathe to snark on the material in the letters, without there being some representation in the strips to go along with it. So, it should provide some challenges to find enough.

By the way, the list of technical attributes associated with walkers in my walker snark were taken from actual on-line walker websites. Not that anyone will appreciate that air of authenticity, but I enjoyed researching it.

As for Rhetta Blum, I am determined to do something with her every day, to get the phatsmacky RHETTTTTTAAAAAA!!!!! scream. Howard is weak when it comes to doing things for women. At least my Howard is. After all, my Howard’s motivation for “attacking” Elizabeth was based on the idea that he was helping her in a warped sort of way. The only thing I really know about Rhetta is what is on the For Better or For Worse web site. I have been reading this strip for years, but I honestly have no recollection of Rhetta playing a crucial role in any of the storylines. I remember her as being just Mike’s generic girlfriend. I know she was conveniently out with another guy just at the time when Mike wanted to break up with her to date Deanna. I infer from this that she is nice but a little duplicitous. Howard is way too simple a guy to be able to outsmart her and he is too nice to outmuscle her. It’s going to go badly for Howard.

Next: Becky’s Pool Party

3 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I did find one strip where Mike and Dee visit Jim and Iris, from February. Most of the strip focuses on the difficulty Mike and Dee have coordinating their journey with a baby and a toddler, only to have Jim comment, "These days, it's so hard for me to go out anywhere," as Mike and Dee look at him with speed-freak eyes.

I loved the litany of walker features. :)

5:47 AM  
Blogger howard said...

The continuity goddess has caught me again. I guess Mike and Dee aren't as bad as I thought. Oh well, probably grandpa forgot that they came. Short term memory loss and that sort of thing.

6:27 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

well, fr. gramps's point of view, february is a long time ago. it's "what have you done for me lately." so no continuity problem there. ;)

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home