Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Consequences of Physical Intimacy

I remember the teenage romance comics. When I saw April and the “Sweet 16 and never been kissed” phrase, I was reminded of an old romance comic I saw a long time ago where the straight-laced boy, wearing the letter sweater walked by a girl lying in the grass kissing a boy and thinking, “And she told me she’d never been kissed!” And there was the title of the story blazing “Never Been Kissed.” I can make fun of it now, but I remember clearly my mother, who was born in 1939, telling me when she was growing up in the 1950s, a lot of girls were so ignorant about sex, they did honestly believe that being caught kissing a boy was a shameful act. Of course, my mom’s dad was a Southern Baptist minister, so that might have had something to do with my mother’s perception.

As I understand it, Lynn Johnston turns 60 this year, which means her teenage years were from 1960 – 1966, not in the 1950s. Of course, what this really means is that Lynn wants April to have some comeuppance for what she did with Gerald, and this idiotic storyline is what she came up with. Lynn wants April to be bad, but not so bad we don’t like her, and yet bad enough to deserve a punishment. Too bad she didn’t come with any way to do that, which would make sense in the 21st century.

6 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

I'd assumed that Gerald's gossip had suggested much more than "kissing"--which is in line with ARB events. :)

Of course, you might question why Lynn had the boys only mention kissing--LJ probably would argue she's leaving things to the readers' imagination (again).

3:42 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Only mentioned kissing, and not wine and not baby-sitting responsibilities. Of course, with teenaged boys, wine would probably the only other thing they would mention. The way it comes off, is Gerald told a good and factual story. April's reaction is suggesting more than kissing occurred in my mind which says a normal teenaged girl wouldn't care if someone said she had been kissing her boyfriend of 4 years.

However, Lynn Johnston's mind is something else to behold. Unlike the situation with Liz in university all those years ago, for this story we see April and Gerald together with no articles of clothing missing. That makes it difficult to imagine something different. In the case of Becky McGuire, the language was geared towards the imagination with "giving gifts" and the like.

6:36 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Not to be crude, but no clothing removed still allows for hands down pants and up shirts. And the ever-popular dry humping. Gerald would probably say use of the word kissing was "allegorical." ;)

7:03 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Even so, April and Gerald's hands in the strip were not located near spots where hands would go up or down clothing. Is dry humping popular?

10:09 AM  
Blogger April Patterson said...

Okay, I can't actually vouch for the popularity of dry-humping.

It seems to me that, just because the couple of views we had of April and Ger making out on the bed did not feature hands groping under clothing, does not necessarily mean said hands remained in such demure positioning the whole time they were having at it. I suspect the fact that they were making out while reclining signals "up to no good" in Lynnglish. ;)

2:40 PM  
Blogger howard said...

making out while reclining signals "up to no good" in Lynnglish. ;)

I can definitely agree with that, and I find it amusing that Lynn may expect others to share that view, otherwise April's indignation doesn't work.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home