Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Adventures in Babysitting

Aside from recent For Better or For Worse strip appearances of April babysitting, and the January, 2003 strips of April babysitting Gordon and Tracey’s kids, the life of April Patterson, babysitter has existed almost entirely in her monthly letters. Just for jollies, I have stripped those out and to see what insights can be gleaned from those letter snippets.

The bulk of the babysitting notes occur in 2004. In 2004, Gordon and Tracey are still in their old house and Tracey works at the garage with Gordon. You can see those elements in April’s description.

April's Letter, May 2004

I am gonna be working mostly for Gordon and Tracey this summer. I will be babysitting (as usual) and now they're gonna let me work in the restaurant at the gas bar cleaning tables and working in the kitchen.

It is interesting to see a reference to the idea that young Meredith would be spending any time with Gordon and Tracey’s kids. I have often thought that Gordon and Tracey, having children, would have been much better best friends for Michael and Deanna than Carleen and Weed. Of course, considering the parenting skills of Michael and Deanna, that could be the reason they preferred Carleen and Weed.

April's Letter, June 2004

Tracey Mayes asked me if I would work for her again this summer babysitting the kids. They are so big now and lots of fun. Gordon put an above ground pool in their back yard last summer. We didn't have much time to use it before it was too cold, but it's warm enough now to use it because they have a heater for the water and a bubble cover to keep the heat in at night. Michael was there helping them get the leaves out and put fresh water in. I can't wait to see Meredith in a life jacket, playing in the pool.

The use of the rabbit for babysitting is mentioned only in this letter.

April's Letter, July 2004

I've tried to explain that Mom and Dad are totally experiencing the generation gap and that communication is important these days but they just don't get it.
At least when I babysit for Gord and Tracey I make some cash and even if I can't get a cellphone I can still buy other stuff for myself. Gord an' Tracey's kids are fun to watch - they treat me like an adult and listen when I tell them things. I play my guitar for them, and we go to the corner store and the pool and we play with Butterscotch a lot.

Here we get an indication of the extent of April’s babysitting and the only time she really complains about the Mayes children. She is essentially working as a summer childcare for the working Tracey and Gordon, while their kids are out of school. Paul would have just finished grade 1 and Rosemary would be 4.

April's Letter, August 2004

Babysitting is going well, and I'm making some decent coin even though it's really hard work watching little kids all day. Becky thinks it would be great to have a baby, but if she spent the day at Gord and Tracey's with me I'm pretty sure she'd change her mind. One of the kids will be spilling cereal all over the floor in the kitchen while the other one is jumping on the couch and flipping the channels on the TV. They're not that bad because they know that I'm the boss, but they do get really hyper so some days when it's not raining we go out to the park and run around and play on the equipment. It keeps them from tearing up the house and they get some exercise. I like to climb the big wooden fort thing at the park too, when there's no one around to see me. (Like good looking guys or anybody from school).

I stayed with Gord and Tracey while my parental units went to Manitoba for the week. It was nice to have a break from Mom and Dad, but it kind of wasn't a break since Paul and Rosemary wanted to play all the time, so for a whole week I was "on" for the entire day. I actually do earn what they pay me!

Becky's parents have been fighting all the time this summer, so she's been a total pain to be around. She's always mad or crying, and I guess it's okay that she's talking to Gerald. I'm not there to hang out with her, and he doesn't mind her moods. I still feel funny about them hanging around together when I'm babysitting all day, but it's not like I can stop them.

And finally a use for the money.

April's Letter, September 2004

At least I can use my babysitting money to buy things she doesn't really like, as long as they're okay for school.

At December, April still has babysitting money left.

April's Letter, December 2004

I've still got some Christmas shopping to do, and between helping out at the store and babysitting I'll have a bit of cash left over. I think maybe I'll pick something up for my friend Shannon.

The first indication we get the April is interested in babysitting Mike’s kids comes here.

April's Letter, January 2005

Mike got (from me) a bunch o' babysitting coupons and Mom and Dad gave him and Deanna a new vacuum cleaner, sort of a tiny one on a stick that folds up.

The only indication that April has babysat anyone other than Rosemary and Paul or Meredith, unless of course this complaint is about them.

April's Letter, May 2005

They don't seem to know how to relax anymore - some of the kids that I babysit hardly ever have a night off from their activities or classes, and their parents are just as bad. When you're a kid, you just need a couple of months to sit in a field and watch ants, or read a book or just do nothing.

Rosemary and Paul are 5 and 7 by this time, and apparently back to being easy.

April's Letter, October 2005

I don't work weekends anymore though, unless someone needs me to cover a shift for them. Or unless I'm babysitting, but Gord and Tracey's kids are easy to watch, and they go to bed early so basically I get paid to do my homework while they sleep. At least Gord and Tracey feel secure.

Here babysitting is used by April as an indication of her character, which is ironic considering the current storyline.

April's Letter, April 2006

It kind of upsets me, because I'm a good student and I babysit and I have a job and I've never mugged an old lady, you know?

And after a long gap, April is babysitting again and it’s Robin and Meredith and plenty of complaining and comparison to Rosemary and Paul. When I read this text after reading all the others, there is a definite change in attitude of April with regard to babysitting. It makes more sense now that she would throw her reputation as a good girl to the wind.

April's Letter, February 2007

I've been babysitting a lot; it's freakin' exhausting! I have NO IDEA how Mike and Dee keep up with those kids after working all day. They both look tired all the time - now I know why!!! It's impossible to keep them both in my sight unless we're in one room with the doors closed. Meredith walks so quietly that I never know which way she's gone. On the other hand, Robin screams so loud that the dogs will run and hide if he's crying. Yikes. They have so much energy, it's nuts. Gord and Tracey's kids were always much calmer; I guess that's just genetics. Still, I love being Auntie April. Reading to Merrie is fun - she's really smart, and she knows a lot of the words I point to. They both like building forts - we have a lot of blankets and a lot of chairs, so we make these huge "tents" in the living room and hang out there. I wish I was as little as Merrie again - she finds them roomy. Me, not so much. But it's quiet!

Tomorrow’s strip: It looks like April has gotten away with it, but never underestimate the ferreting skills of Elly Patterson, who will be so suspicious that April is not in bed by 11 pm on a Saturday night, that she will find the evidence she needs to condemn April and all before Liz and Warren get home on Saturday. I predict alcohol on the breath, wine bottle with 2 glasses, and Gerald on the back porch will be the giveaways.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Sitcom hijinx will surely ensue. ;)

1:05 PM  
Blogger howard said...

I don't know if it's sitcom hijinks or just April's variation of the same kind of story done with Mike and Liz years before.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home