Thursday, March 29, 2007

Crouching April Hidden Gerald

It occurred to me today, as April’s makeout session with Gerald was interrupted, that although much was made by Michael Patterson over Deanna Sobinski in those early strips, he was far too young to have ever had a makeout session with her. I don’t have the strips as proof though. When I read Suddenly Silver from our library there were strips which showed Mike having makeout sessions with Rhetta Blum and Martha McRae though. I wonder if Lynn Johnston brought Deanna back into the picture, so she would be able to pair Michael Patterson up with a woman she could declare in the strip was a virgin when they got married, and no one would be able to argue against the point.

In any case, when qnjones started pushing Gerald into his obnoxious mode of saying April had to stick with him because he was her childhood sweetheart, it occurred to me that I could make up the legal definition of the childhood sweetheart. So, I did an internet search for “legal definition of childhood sweetheart” and it found a website listing the “legal definition of genocide”. At first I thought this would be too far removed from “childhood sweetheart” to use it, but oddly enough, it fit much better than I could have ever expected.

Tomorrow’s strip: Elly is definitely suspicious of April, but she only has one day to find Gerald and lecture April, before Warren and Elizabeth arrive and Warren flies away with a future date in hand. It could be done in a day, and it would certainly make more sense to do it before the end of the week, so the plot doesn’t carry into next week; however, if it does happen tomorrow, then it will be awfully rushed.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

Love the title of this entry, howtheduck! :)

The legal definition of "childhood sweetheart" was genius--and I love that Mike is actually trying to help April. :)

3:45 AM  
Blogger howard said...

Well, no one wants April to turn out like Liz. I expect even Mike of the strip would say that.

Thanks for the compliment.

6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home