Sunday, December 03, 2006

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Rain

Since I have been in Tucson, Arizona, it has snowed with some accumulation once and the snow lasted for maybe an hour. At the time, I experienced a different situation from Deanna in the today's For Better or For Worse strip, where my wife didn’t want the kids to go outside because it was too cold and by the time I finally convinced her to let them, the snow was gone. My wife was brought up in the Dallas, Texas area and has no idea whatsoever how much fun it can be to play in the snow. Whereas I was brought up in the mountains of western North Carolina, where playing in snow was one of the highlights of my growing up. So, I sympathize with Robin and Merrie in today’s strip, if only for the reason that they didn’t get to play in the snow. Of course, the difference with them and my kids is that given another week or so, Robin and Merrie will be playing in the snow.

For me today was church, performance of Handel’s Messiah with the Tucson Symphony Orchestra Chorus, then Bible Study and that was the day. I had thought about doing a Michael Patterson post in response to today’s strip, but found that aprilp_katje beat me to the idea. So, I went for Jeremy / Zeremy Jones instead, and had him play with Zapata Henderson again. Skitch Henderson, listed as father to Zapata was the leader of the Tonight Show orchestra before Doc Severinson did it in the Johnny Carson days. I met him back in 1988 and 1990, when the Dallas Symphony Orchestra Chorus (with whom I used to sing when I lived in Dallas) went to New York and did a holiday pops program with Skitch’s orchestra, the New York Pops, in Carnegie Hall. He was a very nice and amiable man, and had a good repartee with the audience, as I recollect. Florence Henderson, whom I listed as Zapata’s mom, was the actress who played the mother in the Brady Bunch television series. I’ve never met her.

Tomorrow’s strip: With the return of Ned Tanner, we return to Josef Weeder, only it hasn’t been that long since we last saw Josef Weeder. The important questions are:
1. Will this lead to a story involving Josef Weeder?
2. Will Lynn Johnston repeat her storyline with Josef and Michael going to visit Agnes Dingle, find her incapacitated and saving her life, thanks to Ned?
3. Will we ever see Carleen again?

2 Comments:

Blogger howard said...

Lied? I don't think so. There's no deadline except sometime before they get to the Howard Bunt verdict in the strip. Sorry you are still feeling sick from the stomach flu. Get well before you worry about a ARB post.

10:44 AM  
Blogger howard said...

I can't wait to read it.

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home