Saturday, December 02, 2006

December Monthly Letters

As usual, I like to take the parts of the monthly letters that apply to my characters and see what they have to say.

John's Letter, December 2006

Adding to the chaos and tension around here, Liz is just finishing up with Howard's assault trial, but there hasn't been a verdict yet.

We basically have 3 weeks until Christmas in Mtigwaki. Lynn Johnston will have to do a little Weed / Carleen visit, since Ned Tanner showed up in tomorrow’s strip. Then probably we will see the verdict of the trial, and Lynn feeling guilt because she realizes she wants the guy closest to her, i.e. Anthony. Then it’s off to Mtigwaki for the breakup, just before or after Christmas.

I would have thought Paul, Liz's boyfriend, would have come down to be with her, but he seems to be staying away. I suppose he spends lots of time in court, so knows what a waste of time it is.

I already had Paul play this as John Patterson still angry over his speeding ticket as a reason for his court hate. By putting this into John’s mouth and not Elly’s (who says nothing on the subject) they are retconning the idea that Elly also shared this opinion in the strip, which she did. There is a chance to react to things, with the monthly letters. I have a feeling with the significant outrage that strip got, that the Lynnions are trying to back off that stance.

Liz's Letter, December 2006

We're in pretty constant communication, but I haven't seen Paul in quite a while, so it was very strange indeed to be spending days at the courthouse with Anthony. Most men wouldn't be happy to know that their girlfriends were spending entire days hanging out with ex-boyfriends having long conversations. Paul has been wonderful; he understands the circumstances and while he couldn't be here with me during the court process (because of his job), we talked on the phone daily and he gave me as much advice about the law as he could. I feel like I'm almost qualified to consult on the topic now! Maybe I should go into business�Liz's Assault Aftermath Assistance. That was a joke�a weak one, I admit. Still, LAAA has a nice ring to it. I just want to stick my fingers in my ears and sing LAAA LAAA LAAA until all the din swirling around in my head goes away.

Daily phone conversations. They are definitely continuing the idea that Paul is nice, at least from the perspective of Liz. If he is really talking to her on the phone every day, then starting a relationship with Susan Dokis who lives in a different city, would be difficult.


Christmas is going to be nice. I'll spend the day with my family, see as many of my old buddies as possible, then head up to Mtigwaki for a while to visit with friends. I'll be staying with Gary and Viv. Paul's going to come up to stay with them too, and I'll be able to see Jesse and Marg and Susan and everyone else. I'm really looking forward to it, and to the break from my family. Living at home again has been a trial in itself! I'm hoping that in the new year I'll be able to devote some time to finding an apartment close to where I work.

Time to break up with Paul and get all the Mtigwaki people in the strip for the final year. Busy, busy, busy! This has a feel which is much more like the scenario qnjones suggested for the break-up, where Liz and Paul just talk about how he doesn’t want to go South and they are not really meant for each other. So boring, but so Lynn these days. My dream of a Mike / Rhetta / Deanna style breakup is beginning to fade away.

April's Letter, December 2006

Which is understandable - I'd like to do awful things to Howard too, for what he did to my sister.

April plots revenge, but aprilp_katje has already retconned this one away.

2 Comments:

Blogger April Patterson said...

April plots revenge, but aprilp_katje has already retconned this one away.

I really had to--April had just finished hanging with Howard at Marjee's party the night before! :)

5:40 AM  
Blogger howard said...

But...it is perfectly in keeping with April's personality she can hang with someone and still have bad thoughts about them. Think April and Becky. Think April going to the Therese Caine baby shower. And of course, think of the typical April revenge...someone always does it for her. Becky was slammed at the Gym Jam, by her bandmates, and not April.

For true April revenge, Howard would get one of his favourite shirts stretched by something else, but April is there to observe, console him and yet upbraid him at the same time. That would be April revenge.

Ahh! You're right. It's just too silly.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home